My first big hand finished frames

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
fusionframer
Organisation: Fusion Picture Framing
Interests: framing

My first big hand finished frames

Post by fusionframer »

here are a couple of frames I have done this week for a local artist. They are off to tuscany on monday for an exhibition. Although I have been dabbling in hand finishing, these are my first big frames. The squarer of the 2 is almost 3' wide. I may not have followed all the right methods. The inner frame is a 3" obeche frame with a obeche scoop outside, then I have used the 3" obeche on its side to make a deep box frame. I planed to remove the rebate and then fixed using biscuit joints. I then fitted FBOX3 from Wessex to fill the void on the inside of the frame and increase strength.

The painting is on Daler mountboard.

The frame is finished with a Burnt Sienna, then black over with the gold on the inside detail, then lightly distressed before a neutral wax is applied.

As I said, I am not sure if this is the correct way to do this frame, and there may be easier ways, but the artist is very happy with the outcome.

BTW, the paintings are selling for £4,000 each.
Attachments
IMG_0059.jpg
IMG_0059.jpg (256.97 KiB) Viewed 3072 times
IMG_0065.jpg
IMG_0065.jpg (292.1 KiB) Viewed 3072 times
www.fusionframing.co.uk

Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: My first big hand finished frames

Post by Not your average framer »

Hi Nick,

Very nice work and an imaginative choice of mouldings to stack together.

I've not seen F-box mouldings used in that way before. An interesting idea! I use a flat thin obeche moulding from the same page in the Simons catalog as the flat pine mouldings, in similar way. It's quite cheap to buy, but the rebate width is bit limited when gluing other mouldings into the rebate. I wonder how the price of the F-box compares.

I expect that you already know how much some of us are into hand finishing such as Prospero, myself, and few others. I think that all of us without exception, not only encourage others to get into hand finishing, but are delighted to see another forum member presenting such nice, professional quality work.

May I once again, take the opportunity to suggest to any others who may be tempted, to take the plunge and start learning some hand finishing techniques and skills. We all have to start from never having done this sort of thing, but it's only a matter of practice and the desire to learn.

It's both a satisfying and profitable line of business. There are also a number of us on this forum, who will answer questions and help others along the way.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
mikeysaling
Organisation: sarah jane framing
Interests: astronomy medals photography

Post by mikeysaling »

really impressive job :clap: :clap: :clap:
when all is said and done - there is more said than done.
fusionframer
Organisation: Fusion Picture Framing
Interests: framing

Post by fusionframer »

Thanks for the responses.

I would like to say that this has been the most satisfying frames I have done. Although every job, whether a run of the mill framing job should get the same attention to detail, seeing this go together from making the first frame and then at each stage getting closer to the final outcome. I would say to any framers thinking about giving a hand finished frame a go to do it. You will definitely go home with a smile on your face!

Also, a couple of customers have come in at the weekend and seen these and as a result have chosen a hand finished frame, so I will be increasing my repertoire this week.

Cheers

Nick
www.fusionframing.co.uk

Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.