Disaster Liverpool Shirt

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
shiltonphoto
Organisation: ShiltonPhoto
Interests: Framing, Landscape Photography, Football, sports etc...

Disaster Liverpool Shirt

Post by shiltonphoto »

I had an enquiry from a new customer just before Christmas to take a look over a Liverpool shirt her husband had presented to him when he left his previous employers and subsequently had framed. She mentioned that it had fallen down in the frame a bit and possibly just needed a bit of 'tweaking'.

The shirt was sandwitched between the frame and backing board, the tabs had damaged the shirt and the backing board was secured using masking tape (although the adhesive had given up the ghost and it was half hanging off). All this from a local 'framing' shop. :shock:

Anyway, after I'd rescued the shirt from the frame, tabs and masking tape and realised the details on the sleeves and autographs previously hidden we agreed on the layout below.

This was my first football shirt, so be as critical as you can - comments please? :sweating:

Before:

After:
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Re: Disaster Liverpool Shirt

Post by Jonny2morsos »

I tend to do them like this:
IMG_6718_edited-1.jpg
IMG_6718_edited-1.jpg (342.61 KiB) Viewed 6280 times
If the sleeves are not significant I fold them behind as I find this also helps with getting the shirt flat (not drum tight). I usually make the mount about 2" wide using a colour from the shirt as the second layer of the mount (red in this case). Alot can depend on where the signatures are. Customers choice of frame on this job. I am also open to comment.
shiltonphoto

Post by shiltonphoto »

I think either way would have looked good. However, with this particular one I wanted to have the sleeves on show because it was a Champions League shirt - seeing as Liverpool has a bit of history with European competitions...

Also, the customer wanted the frame to be as small as possible - not easy when its a XXL shirt!
Jonny2morsos

Post by Jonny2morsos »

Aah! yes the sleeves are significant in your case. Shows I know nothing about football!
blokman
Organisation: Artist / Journeyman Framer
Interests: Painting in Oil / Watercolour, Industrial Heritage, Framing and Associated Crafts

Post by blokman »

In both the photos, what method have you used for attaching the shirt and former to the backing board?

We have used a combination of tapestry tape and stitching for the shirts so far completed..
Jonny2morsos

Post by Jonny2morsos »

In my case stitching to make the framing fully reversible. The shirt could be removed from the frame and worn if desired.

I never use any adhesive tapes on this type of item.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

The floated look looks better IMHO.

Both examples use window mounts, why? Is it to conceal the points holding the glass in? I used to do that but then I looked at it in relation to anything else I'd do with a mount; the mount would always (or nearly always - can't always do what you think looks best - customers) be far wider than the moulding and if you make that the case with a shirt, you're making a big frame anyway, into a BIG frame!!

These days I use rebate spacers so that little mount has gone and more space is left around the shirt, less busy.

The other thing about mounts spaced away from the backing mount is the space it creates between them - that gap between the window mount and the backing making a shadow, doing nothing, people want to peer in to it - curiosity - a distraction?

When I do use this method I fill that gap with foam board and then finish it with mount board, if that makes sense.
easypopsgcf
Organisation: home
Interests: cars

Post by easypopsgcf »

If you have a look here http://theframersforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... t=football you'll see a few methods and explanations of materials used etc, sorry its a lazy answer but i'm not staying on for long just now. :D
shiltonphoto

Post by shiltonphoto »

Roboframer - In response to your query ...

I used a double, quite narrow mount for two reasons (in the end). Firstly, I helped to cover up the tabs which held the glass in place. Not that it was going to fall out at any point, but it just helped me put things together at the time - this wasn't particularly pre-planned, but actually worked rather well.

Secondly, the customer wanted a white moulding and white backing to the shirt so the frame looked very sterile and a bit bland. So I added the flash of red to the mount to bring the frame to life a bit.

Also, with the mount being up against the glass and the football shirt further back, it get it a neat 3d look. You cant really see if in the photo as I took it at night, but it works rather well.

Well, I think so anyway. The customer was very pleased with the result too! (that always helps :D ).