Way back when

Conservation Issues
prospero

Way back when

Post by prospero »

I was looking at a print I framed round about 1986 the other day. was pleasantly surprised that it looked as good as the day I framed it. :D Fortunately, I did it in the new-fangled white-core board that was slowly creeping into the market at the time. :P When I started up, it was bog-standard board or cotton rag (in white or ivory)

I was wondering if some of the old-timers on the forum ever get to see stuff they framed a significant amount of time ago. And how it has fared.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
David
Organisation: Silverstone Framing
Interests: Photography, Motor Racing, Military

Re: Way back when

Post by David »

Funny you should mention it. But I was recently looking at one of my pictures from the early 80's and while, with a quick dust, could have been framed last week, mitres still good - drilled and pinned in those days, and everything clean and flat, its got this awful green mount with chunky wash lines and very dated dark wood frame. I must have thought it looked good at the time but I really must reframe it.
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

Peter, was this when you was cleaning out the shed? :mrgreen:
misterdiy
Organisation: Decormount
Interests: Picture framing, mount-cutting, photoshop et al

Post by misterdiy »

We too had one in a couple of weeks ago that was framed in the mid 90's. It was morso'ed and underpinned, but it was in the equivalent of Simons Cushion 30245200, with wormholes (not real, just for effect) Still available today.

The good bit stops there. The mount was in cream core and was well faded and the picture was hinged with masking tape. Still well fixed in place though. The "staff" used to sign their names under the gummed tape. Brought back memories.

And then we were in the FATG :roll:
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

same ^^^ believe it or not that moulding still sells from time to time round here!

often get them in from the 1990s, in early-emafyl 68/01 or 300M, when we were members of the Fine Art Trade Gullible, with masking tape, hand cut mats with brown bevels, mdf backs, but apart from that everything inside still in good condition.

makes you realise that even the sort of framing we maybe frown upon now still gave these pictures a lot of protection for 20 years.
Gesso&Bole
Organisation: Jeremy Anderson Picture Frame Maker
Interests: Framing pictures, testing out the latest gismos, and sharing picture framing knowledge

Post by Gesso&Bole »

I opened one up recently that I framed over 20 years ago. It was an original guache with the image going right to the edge of the paper, so I had float mounted it. In those days I was probably still using masking tape for "hinging" but in this instance I had used ATG tape, straight on to the back of the picture, to float on to the mount. I can confirm that after 20 years the artwork was still fixed where it was meant to be, and that when I came to remove it, the ATG came free with minimal effort, and rubbed off the back of the artwork with my finger - no damage whatsoever!
Jeremy (Jim) Anderson
Picture Framer and Framing Industry Educator
https://www.jeremyanderson.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/ja_picture_framer/