PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Big problem with Morso Blades

Post by GeoSpectrum »

Hi,
Ive been happily cutting away on the Morso for a year or so with no issues. The other day I got in some new obeche moulding which seemed particurly soft. I went to make up a chevron and low and behold I got the result you can see in the photo. Instead of a clean cut, which I normally get, the blades just seem to rip out the back of the moulding instead of cutting it.

I only seem to get this problem on some softer mouldings but this problem is new to me. Is it time for a resharpen or perhaps the blades are not traveling far enough forward on the last cut?

Any ideas?
(Sorry the photo is so poor but I'm sure you can see the problem).
Back of moulding
Back of moulding
untitled (2).png (903.98 KiB) Viewed 2617 times
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
Framie
Organisation: Anything Framed
Interests: Custom Framing, Hand Finishes and Multi Aperture Mounts.

Re: Big problem with Morso Blades

Post by Framie »

I get a length like this obeche every now and then, to soft and to dry, just have to scrap the length, also ask for a refund.

If you cut as fast as you can push your foot down that can help :|
Anything Framed
fineedge

Post by fineedge »

... the dreaded snot wood. Somewhere on this forum mention has been made of filing the gap in the morso where the blades do the final cut with some silicon gel and letting it dry before cutting - that adds a little support - if I can't scrap the whole length, I cover that gap with some tape and then I spray some silicone on the inside of the blades just before the final cut - then the final cut I do as hard and quick as possible - often works but sometimes the wood is just too crappy
Alan
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Ask your supplier to take away the defective piece and send you a replacement. Your supplier sent you a defective product, so it's the suppliers problem!

Don't waste time trying to use a defective moulding, it's not worth it!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

Sometimes the problem can be exacerbated if your blades are getting dull.

If you have a spare sharp set put them on and see if there is a difference.
easypopsgcf
Organisation: home
Interests: cars

Post by easypopsgcf »

Cut some strips of mdf(2mm) the same height or slightly bigger than the back of the moulding, put it behind while cutting. This means you'll get a much cleaner back edge, not something you'll have to do very often as its already been pointed out that not that many lengths are quite so soft. Remember to add the 2mm onto your rebate size(best to cut a few extra strips and pack the full lenght of the wood, so its kept nice and even). And yes i'd consider getting your blades sharpened as its the very front that shows up the wear first, not surprisingly as these bits of blade never get a rest :)
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Have you never had your blades sharpened? This will most definitely be the problem coupled with a bad length of Obeche. It may well not cut to great when you get them sharpened but you will notice the difference with the rest of your mouldings.