Dry mounting large rice paper painting

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Dave

Dry mounting large rice paper painting

Post by Dave »

Hi

Looking for a board suitable to dry mount a japanese rice paper painting on, it is around 1500mm long and a join in the board will most likely show through, Any suggestions?

Cheers Dave
Roboframer

Re: Dry mounting large rice paper painting

Post by Roboframer »

Jumbo board is 60x40" (1524x1016mm) - and rather you than me too!
Gus
Organisation: Not yet.
Interests: Off road motorcycling; Youth work; Watching sport - motocross; speedway and rugby mainly.

Post by Gus »

Just for my info - if the join of the board will show through the paper, how do you attach it invisibly?
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Post by GeoSpectrum »

I guess you could use tape on both sides to join the boards and then cover them with some form of paper and then mount on top of that? Dunno...
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Don't forget that the colour of the board will show through the rice paper, so choose your board colour with care!

If in doubt, match the colour of the board to the colour of the paper.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Dave

Post by Dave »

Thanks chaps, jumbo board it will be.

Not looking forward to it, have just done a 1500 print on canvas (backing wasn't critical as it couldn't be seen through canvas), after this one, am going to limit glass size in shop to 1200 due to safety concerns. I don't like to turn anything away, but glass this big isn't for me.

Gus, it is not so much that you will see the join through the rice paper, rather a line will be evidant accross it, a bit like wallpaering over uneven plaster it's hard to explain, but the eye will be drawn to it like bird splat on a windscreen.

Cheers

Dave
Gus
Organisation: Not yet.
Interests: Off road motorcycling; Youth work; Watching sport - motocross; speedway and rugby mainly.

Post by Gus »

Dave wrote:
Gus, it is not so much that you will see the join through the rice paper, rather a line will be evidant accross it, a bit like wallpaering over uneven plaster
Dave
Thanks, I thought you meant the paper was so thin and transparent you would be able to see through it - was wondering how you were going to stop the hinges from showing through.I guess that won't be a problem though.

Thanks for your reply.