Mats versus Mounts

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Roboframer

Mats versus Mounts

Post by Roboframer »

Over here, when we cut a hole in a piece of board, we call it a 'mount'.

When we put it over a piece of artwork, we say we have 'mounted' it - with said mount.

When we hinge artwork, to what we call an 'undermount' (which windows does not like without a hyphen!) we ALSO say we have 'mounted' it.

I think the US terms are better - a 'Mat' is the bit with the hole in and a 'Mount' is the thing behind it, which the artwork is mounted on.

Or you could say 'window mount' for the bit with the hole and 'mount' for the bit artwork is attached to.

Discuss!
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I may be wrong, but I think the French call it a Passe-Partout (Just to confuse matters further), but we better not say too much or the E.U. might decide it needs a regulation about what it is called.
prospero

Post by prospero »

And the whole thing fits under a rabbet. :shock:
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

I have a mat on the floor. Some people may even call that a rug. :P
John GCF
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Tech Support
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

Having already embraced many Americanisms, I think it is just great that, finally, someone has got off their fanny to address this issue!
osgood

Post by osgood »

Most people down here in the colonies call them "mats". Just makes more sense that using "mounts". In my mind, (which is quite tiny) Mounts are things that "attach" something.

When saying that something is "mounted" does "mounted" mean "matted" or "attached"??? No-one ever knows exactly what this means when discussing this by phone or email or forum! If you say something is "matted", it is pretty clear what this means.
prospero

Post by prospero »

There seems to be a great variation in terminology among UK framers as well, particually on the subject of 'slips'.

To me, a slip is a flat moulding designed to fit inside an outer moulding.

A liner is a slip with a rebate.

A fillet is a slip with a lip on the upper surface.

A slip/liner that is wider than the outer moulding it becomes a panel

That's just my convention. :wink: One of my (trade) customers habitually refered to slips as 'stretchers'.

And then there are swept frames. People tend to label any frame that has ornaments on the corners as a swept frame. But strictly speaking the term refers to the profile of the moulding, it being 'swept' back like a wave. So you could have a swept frame with no ornaments.

Or am I just resorting to pedanticism? (or should that be pedantry :o )
Bill Henry
Organisation: Not so much - it's kind of messy.
Interests: Dry mounting dog hair, counting age spots on old people, playing chess with wood elves, scheming to take over the world.

Post by Bill Henry »

When I first joined this forum, I was a little confused by the term “mount”. It took me several readings of a post to see how it was used in context before I could figure it out.

John introduce the word, “flumb” to the American Grumble. As you know, a flumb is a speck of dirt or dust which comes in two forms: light colored dust which shows up on dark colored mats (or mounts); and dark colored dust which shows up on light colored mats. Dust only become a “flumb”, though, after the frame package is sealed.

Some time ago, there was an argument about how the word, “fillet” should be pronounced. It seemed to be equally divided into the “fill-IT” and the “fil-LAY” camps. I suggested that to eliminate the confusion that we refer to them as “wreltneys”. It hasn’t caught on.

Some other Americanisms that I have not seen here:

Wood that crumbles when you chop it – snotwood.

Mild adhesives used in magazines which allow you to remove a supplement easily – Goober Glue.

Can you think of any other odd terms used in the picture framing industry?
Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent! – Porky Pine
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Years ago in either Art Busines Today (probably) or maybe The Picture Business, there was a letter, or maybe it was in an article - a poem someone had written about flumbs. As I remember it was written by a customer who had returned a frame with a foreign body inside it and the framer started swearing at it, basically, and the customer christened these things 'Flumbs' - probably to ryhme with something.

I only remember one line "makes you unglue your glued up thing" but it was very good.

If anyone has kept all their issues of ABT/TPB and can find this poem I'd be very grateful.

We're talking beer - Harveys Sussex best bitter (UK deliveries only!!!)
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Bill Henry wrote:
Can you think of any other odd terms used in the picture framing industry?
Well there's 'Evergreen slugs' which on TFG are movie posters - I know who christened them that, but I've no idea why.

I think 'snotwood' has been mildly used here - probably by me - but I also like 'weetabix moulding'. Is the breakfast cereal 'weetabix' available in The States? - it's a very apt description - down to Kev I think.

Pete Bingham (where is he?) described a certain mountcutter as a 'Maxi Slasher' once, and that's now what I call my 60" keencut excalibur.

Evo stick I call 'Evil Stink' - don't use it of course but have seen plenty of stuff mounted with it! Bloody contact adhesive for heavens sake!

A term I dislike 'Cotton Museum' - a place where you can see the history and examples of cotton making?

Non reflective mirror glass (I made that one up but have, on occasion, asked customers if they want non reflective glass in their mirror - most laugh, or roll their eyes, but one said it was OK - it was going in a hall with no windows! - I spared them embarrasment and just said "Oh - OK then"!)