Scratched canvas

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
strokebloke
Organisation: Turn Around Artwork
Interests: Photography, Wood-turning, Wood Carving; Bench Joinery, Cycling:
Learning new framing techniques!
Precision engineering

Scratched canvas

Post by strokebloke »

A first for me this morning.
A local friend of mine, sent a lady to me with a framed canvas.
The canvas had been scratched twice, just above the bottom sight edge.
Her son-in-law, who apparently is an art student, told her he could fix it (did he scratch it in the first place? :roll: ) and attempted to fill the two white scratches with something. The scratches were still visible but where he'd rubbed whatever-it-was to fill the scratches, had made the surface of the canvas shiny (the rest was matt.) The sight edge of the frame was now shiny too, but only next to the scratches. I suspect he may have used shoe polish :shock: :giggle: .
Anyway, she left it with me.
I've taken the canvas off the stretchers, cut down the side bars and re-stretched the canvas back over the new sized frame. The scratches are now on the top edge of the bar, out of sight. I haven't reduced the size of the canvas at all. There's just 1" more on the back now
Sold the lady a piece of TruVu glass to go into her (also reduced size) frame (to ensure that the canvas doesn't get scratched in the future :lol: ) and assembled it all again.
She's just been in to collect and pay. Seems delighted and said that she'd tell her friends.

I can put my feet up now and watch the Tour de France this afternoon. :lol: :lol:
http://www.turnaroundartwork.co.uk
Good advice is best learned, rather than simply listened to.
mikeysaling
Organisation: sarah jane framing
Interests: astronomy medals photography

Re: Scratched canvas

Post by mikeysaling »

strokebloke wrote:I can put my feet up now and watch the Tour de France this afternoon. :lol: :lol:

Watch it ! you should be taking part :giggle: :giggle:
when all is said and done - there is more said than done.