Spandrels.

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
prospero

Spandrels.

Post by prospero »

Is it me or has there been a swing toward fancy ornate frames just lately? :roll:

Just done this pair. The outers were from Frinton Frames. Supplied gesso-only.
I cut the spandrels from 2.5mm MDF on my faithful Oval6. Finished in gilt with a yellow base dibbled with brown and rottenstoned.

The glass goes behind the spandrel and an oval spacer behind that.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Grahame Case

Re: Spandrels.

Post by Grahame Case »

yup, a sudden shift back to ornate frames again, we are selling lots of Larson Juhl ornate profiles - and also getting a lot of interest in the Frinton Closed corner range.

It's higher end ornate stuff people are after too, not your normal Swept.
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

I have seen a general shift from plain flat moldings to shaped , distressed and ornate, and yes people are going for higher quality stuff.

Apparently this happens every time the country goes into recession.
Amrit
Organisation: N/A
Interests: Art, framing

Post by Amrit »

Guys, how does one cut the mouldings? I can't seem to see any 45 degree join line?
framemaker

Post by framemaker »

The base moulding comes in lengths like any barewood or pre-fin moulding, it will be in a white 'compo' or 'gesso' finish with just the sight edge and outer ornament applied during production of the lengths, see photo below. So the frame is made as normal, cut on morso or saw and then joined on an underpinner. Then the corners, centres, and sweep rails are applied and any 'piercings' or cut outs are done. Lastly a thin layer of gesso is sprayed on before being packed up and delivered to Prospero for his own finishing.

Image from Wessex:
Attachments
compo12.jpg
compo12.jpg (7.93 KiB) Viewed 3632 times