sealing an oval frame

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Mrs C
Organisation: Carol Coulter Framing
Interests: Eating, cooking, walking, football (watching), recycling, the great outdoors, dogs (esp jack russells).

sealing an oval frame

Post by Mrs C »

good afternoon FF members
this may sound a silly question, but how does one seal an oval frame? Same technique as lining a cake tin I wonder? Cutting nicks into the tape at regular intervals so it can be made to follow the curve? Or not.
Mrs C
Organisation: Carol Coulter Framing
Interests: Eating, cooking, walking, football (watching), recycling, the great outdoors, dogs (esp jack russells).

Re: sealing an oval frame

Post by Mrs C »

OK scrap that idea. The cake-tin lining method doesn’t work. A squeeze of sealant might be the answer.
prospero

Post by prospero »

You could do what the 'mercans do. ATG round the edge, lay a sheet of brown paper on top and slice off the excess. :D (Like a pie crust).

What I usually do is lay strips of tape around and trim them on the outside. Wider the tape the better. I use 4" wide as default.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
SPF
Organisation: Sudbury Picture Frames
Interests: Fine Art,Music

Post by SPF »

Good point prospero that's what I generally do.

Another method is to use brown kraft paper, cut oversize and dampen to stretch the paper, apply pva to the back of the frame moulding, place frame onto kraft paper and press down on frame, turn frame over and using a small roller, roll where paper is fixed to moulding to ensure the paper is adhered all round,place either thick glass or stiff board onto paper and weigh down, leave overnight to dry. In the morning remove the weight and the kraft paper should be drum tight! Cut off excess paper from moulding with scissors and then give a final trim with a scalpel/kraft knife using your index finger to guide round the outer edge of moulding to give a nice even cut and that's it.