10,000 hours?

For topics that fall into the 'None Of The Above' category
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

10,000 hours?

Post by GeoSpectrum »

I have just read Malcom Gladwell's book 'Outliers'. It’s an interesting read in which he describes a theory that suggests that you need to have been practicing a specific task for around 10,000 hours before you become truly proficient at it. Among others he cites examples such as the Beatles playing in Hamburg and Bill Gates programming, both amassing over 10,000 hours.

So. How many hours does it need to become truly proficient at Framing? Well, I have been framing (actual time in the workshop) for approx 60 weeks, so assuming a 40 hour week I have some way to go before hitting the 10,000 hour mark (about 3.75 years!). I can produce good frames but I guess there is a way to go yet!

Gladwell writes about ‘specific ‘tasks, so if you break down framing into specific tasks; cutting a mount, framing textiles, sports shirts, making the tea, etc. How long will it be before we are truly proficient in any of it?

Thankfully, it's only a theory.

How many hours have you been framing?
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
misterdiy
Organisation: Decormount
Interests: Picture framing, mount-cutting, photoshop et al

Re: 10,000 hours?

Post by misterdiy »

Ah, but what about all of the other skills in life that contribute to picture framing.

On football shirts, you might be a competent seamstress (don't know the masculine for seamstress - if there is one :lol: ) For instance I have many years of DIY woodwork experience behind me which must count for something towards some sort of competency.

Still as you say, only a theory :?
stcstc

Re: 10,000 hours?

Post by stcstc »

mount cutting

take a shortcut

hr1 - buy cmc
hr2 get some training
hr3 cut mounts

simples