Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
teamweapon
Organisation: kiku
Interests: movie posters

very green person would like a little help please

Post by teamweapon »

my first post as i am just starting on the framing lark.
i have bought a nobex mitre saw and an under pinner.
i have a couple of questions about framing movie posters.

the size of a lot of posters i have is 47"x63" approx [but i also have posters twice this size]
what size moulding would be reccomended as a minnimum for the frame to be stable?

i dont seem to be able to find mount boards larger than A0, which wouldnt be big enough for a poster this size, any suggestions? and also what would be the best tools to use to cut a mount of this size?

if i used a hardboard back to the frame, would lining this sheet with an acid free lining be a good cheap solution for a relatively stable enviroment for the poster?

and also what other tools should i be looking for to get me kick started?

i am guessing that all these answers have already been posted on this forum? but i have searched and not found the answers? but maybe im not looking in the right place? to be honest it all seems a little over whelming, as there is a MOUNTAIN of stuff to learn, but i do want learn how to be good at it.
oh yeah i also do not have piles of cash to throw at this either?

any advice you can throw my way will be very much appreciated.
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Re: very green person would like a little help please

Post by David McCormack »

Wow! You say on your introductory post that you’ve never made a frame in your life and you’re thinking of starting with a mere 63 incher!, and maybe double that! :shock:

Movie posters look good with relatively plain thin mouldings so at those sizes you’re going to need a subframe and a good hanging system. As for glass probably acrylic is the way to go. See this thread for an example of a subframe http://theframersforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 8381&hilit

I’m not that experienced with big frames myself so I hope you get lots of advice from other forum members. Good luck :D
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

I think it is wessex that sell really large mount board 96" I think, but your going to need a bit more tthan a underpinner for frames that big, as already mentioned sub frames and biscuit joints, good luck !
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Post by GeoSpectrum »

You are diving in at the deep end that is for sure. A lot of experienced framers would raise an eyebrow or two at what you want to do! Its possible of course but it might stretch you a bit. For starters you are dealing with non standard ( ie very large) sizes and you have a conservation element to it so may neeed to consider UV light protection and conservation grade materials. All available at those sizes but not cheap.

I'd really recommend finding a framer near you ( a good one) and going to have a chat with them. If they are too busy or not intrested (it does happen with non-standard jobs like yours) the take your money elsewhere. I quite like challenge like this but not everyone does.

Dont under estimate what you are proposing. It is not a straight forward job.

Don't hesitate to ask away though. or Google 'movie poster framing' that might give you an idea or two. If you really want to frame the posters youself start small and work up to the big stuff, but you will also need a lot of space. For very large jobs I de-camp to an artists friends studio just for the floor space! And you will need to consider your equipment and materials very carefully.

Alan
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
prospero

Post by prospero »

A lot depends on the posters. Some movie posters are valuable and some may be just repros and purely decorative.

One way (approved by presevationists) to mount posters is to fix them to linen. This will reinforce them. Old poster were typically printed on poor quality paper. They were not intended to last. This isn't a procedure that a beginner should undertake though. Job for an expert. (I'm not one btw. :roll: )

If it's a repro, then I would tend to just put it in a frame the same size. Acrylic glazing - no spacers. It may or may not develop waves. If it doesn't - great. If it does you have the option of sticking it to a solid board later. The customer may not notice or tolerate any waviness. If it's not a glossy print then waves would be less noticeable anyway.

If at all possible I would avoid adding a window mount. If it is just going to serve as a spacer then there are other ways. Adding a 3" mount will add about 25% area to an already huge piece of glass (or plexi). Not using a mount would allow you to use a more chunky frame. A big hefty flat section would be my choice. Or go for the minimal look using a narrow but deep section + subframe. Backing with foamcore may help with any wavy tendencies as it it is more climatically stable.
I've been cutting mounts for 30 years and I would shy at doing one that size. Apart from anything else, the logistics of getting a monster board to your door are not to be underestimated.

The big problem with paper this size is that it will go wavy if the edges are restricted. As they would be if it were framed 'close' (straight in a frame - no mount). Even using a window mount may not prevent this happening. If you can, stick it to a solid substrate. Proper linen backing if old/valuable/fragile or to a sheet of hardboard if it's not. Actually doing this is another story......

Just my fourpenn'th. :P
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I would suggest that the first thing you need to do is to get some practice on making smaller frames and get youself comfortable with using your equipment. Frinton Mouldings do what they call bargain bundles, which are a mixture of slightly imperfect mouldings and often there will be a few discontinued, but otherwise perfect mouldings as well. Some will be more challenging than others to cut and join, but it's a quick way of getting a mixed stock of mouldings for not a lot of money.

Just one bundle will be all I would suggest that you get for now and that will be plenty to get you started and start you asking questions when things don't work out quite how you had hoped they would. Any imperfect mouldings will still be usable, you just need to cut around any defects. I used to buy them to make ready made frames and do bargain frames for those who don't want to spend much on a frame. I have not bought any for ages, so my prices may be a little out of date, but I used to be able to buy 75 metres of mixed mouldings for £25, plus carriage, plus VAT. This works out at about 10 pence per foot, before adding the carriage and the VAT.

Don't be put off if things are difficult at first and you can't produce perfect frames first time. All of us have to start somewhere and then learn where we need to improve. There's lots of good guys on this forum who will try and talk you through any problems bit by bit while you get it together.

Best wishes,
Mark
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
teamweapon
Organisation: kiku
Interests: movie posters

Post by teamweapon »

WOW!!!
thanks for all the advice.
it really is very appreciated.
ok do from what i can tell, everyone thinks o should calm down a bit and start off small.
which does make the most amount of sense, no point in me ruining lots of expensive stuff for no reason.
the movie posters i have do go down to A4 size which is a small czech poster. but i have the most of 12"x30" [ish].
so i guess i should start off there.

i was wondering about the weight of the large frames and how the moulding would hold up? i guess i have my answer, which is it wouldnt. which again is no real surprise. i like the idea of a sub frame though, never really considered that previously.

the posters i have are not really expensive so linen backing isnt an option. but i am VERY interested in learning how to do that also. but that is way down the line for me.

one question i do have is about mounting, can you buy a cutting head you can attach to a steel rule? i would think you could but have yet to see one? if you can i think that would be part of my answer to making BIG mount boards? but that still dosnt answer the question of finding HUGE sheets of mount board.

i will report back once i set up my work room next week and get this whole shebang on the road.
thanks for all the replies and advice y'all :D
im very much looking forward to seeing my first efforts come to life!
Sean
prospero

Post by prospero »

The bigger the sheet, the less the choice. There are 'Jumbo' sizes in a lot of ranges (about 60x40), but very few colours. When you get bigger than that, it's basically black or white. Maybe Ivory. And ordering one sheet isn't really practical.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
fusionframer
Organisation: Fusion Picture Framing
Interests: framing

Post by fusionframer »

Welcome to the forum.

I agree with the above that making a few small frames would be a good idea.

However, as mentioned above, when you get to frames that size and above, the equipment you need does change and a biscuit jointer becomes essential. Also, don't underestimate the amount of space you size of bench you will need to make them.

I seem to be making a lot of large frames at the moment, and about 2 weeks ago finished a 96" by 72" frame.

Above all else, once you have completed it, make sure you can get it out of the door! We have double doors to our workshop and it was still very tight and it did not enter my head until it was made.

Cheers
www.fusionframing.co.uk

Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.
Abacus
Organisation: Abacus Picture Framing and Gallery
Interests: Picture Framing, Furniture making.

Post by Abacus »

Where does one buy mountcard larger than jumbo?

Not from arqadia, mainline, Wessex or frinton, afaik bainbridge don't do one either
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Post by GeoSpectrum »

Splice cut with a CMC.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Arqadia do several - for example http://www.arqadia.co.uk/advancedsearch ... 682&id=101

Bainbridge also do at leat one 48 x 96 too and if you splice and cover with fabric you can go as big as you like ... or as big as fabric comes anyway!
Abacus
Organisation: Abacus Picture Framing and Gallery
Interests: Picture Framing, Furniture making.

Post by Abacus »

Thanks robo never bothered looking at that arqadia range! £100 for 5 is a bit tasty too.

I'll look into the bainbridge range a bit more carefully too.