Hanging A Panoramic Frame

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Chris_h
Organisation: www.TheUKLandscape.com
Interests: Photography, Football, F1, printing & framing www.Photographyprinting.co.uk

Hanging A Panoramic Frame

Post by Chris_h »

I wonder if anyone could help me, I have a panoramic framed image that I need to add the fixings for and it occurred to me I wasn't 100% sure on the best method to use as I have never done any panoramic ones before.

the size is 150 cm by 45 cms, would normal D rings and cord work or is it better to use Strap Hangers? I do have a few Strap hangers I could use, having never used these before is their a rule as to how far down or up the frame to position these.

Any help would be appreciated and I do apologise in advance for me ignorance.
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Re: Hanging A Panoramic Frame

Post by David McCormack »

I would think it best not to use D-rings and cord as you say. The frame is very long and thin, I would consider mirror plates, 2 along the top and 2 along the bottom and painted to match the wall colour.
Mirror-Plate.jpg
Mirror-Plate.jpg (11.63 KiB) Viewed 4967 times
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
prospero

Post by prospero »

Cord/wire would be OK if it was hung on two hooks, spaced nearer to the edge of the frame than usual.

Strap hangers maybe better, but ideally you need the ones with a slotted hole so you can fine-tune the level.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Chris_h
Organisation: www.TheUKLandscape.com
Interests: Photography, Football, F1, printing & framing www.Photographyprinting.co.uk

Post by Chris_h »

Thanks for your help guys I really appreciate it.

Chris
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Cord/wire would be fine - even though there may be better/alternative methods such as 'Z' bars, straps, etc.

Looking at this famous diagram, the ideal angle of 60 degrees from wall hook to 'D' ring would easily work on a frame 45cm deep.

I recommend two hooks on all but the very smallest frames anyway and on the back of the frame I also mark the points where those hooks should be placed.
wire%20angles[1].jpg
wire%20angles[1].jpg (95.25 KiB) Viewed 4880 times