Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Cameron
Organisation: Print Productions
Interests: 4x4ing, photography and flying

Oil Splatter from air gun

Post by Cameron »

Hi all

This is my very first post on this forum :D

I am using a SIL-AIR 50/24 compressor and I am having trouble with oil/water splatter from my air gun. I regularly empty the liquid from tank+ catchment yet I still get splatter.
I am quite new to framing which I have branched my business to. Run Epson printers for inject canvas and a frontier for prints. Valiani mat cutter. Just bought a T400 saw which should make chopping a bit easier than my Morso :P

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Its not real fun setting in prints without an air gun I tell you!

Cheers

Cameron
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Re: Oil Splatter from air gun

Post by IFGL »

Is your work shop quiet humid? Our is we run a dehumidifyer 24/7 .

Where is your water trap placed? It should not be directly plumed into your compressor, to work effectively the compressed air needs to cool before hitting the trap , so a couple of meter length of air line or more then the trap . We have a 10m hose after this and all our air lines are plastic, where I worked before they had metal lines then short plastic and much water ( not sure if that contributed or not) our air is bone dry though.

hope this helps.

Darren
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

Thanks Darren

I like the sound of bone dry. What you say makes sense. The trap is right on the compressor. I use the thin push in plastic 6mm tubing on everything. Find it good on my guns as they have no heavy lines off them.

Might just get another trap and mounting it a few meters away. Will see how that goes.

Cheers

Cameron
IFGL

Post by IFGL »

Just noticed you mentioned oil, do you have a oil feed into the air lines for machinery? we do have oil feeds but these are mounted on the respective machinery rather than into the entire system keeping blowers oil free.
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

Just took a pic of my average setup. When I empty the water out of the tank it is all yellow from the oil of the compressor.. This is normal yeah?

Can see the water catch is on the compressor. Will mount another a few meters away. Say this should fix it?

IFGL

Post by IFGL »

yeah it should fix it, I would leave that one there and put another further up like you suggested earlier, I have always had oil free compressors but yes you will get some oil leaking into the air through the pump.
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

IFGL's reasonings seems to make sense. I have my watertrap and filter just before the airline goes in but I have about 20m of pipe before the filter. My workshop is also very cold but also very damp and i don't have problems with oil or water. Incidently I have two lines one for air guns and one for air tools the airtool one has an inline lubricator as well. :D :D
JohnMcafee
Organisation: Scenes
Interests: Picture Framing
Putting the world to rights

Post by JohnMcafee »

You could try this as a temporary measure.

It worked for us after the gun was given a too generous oiling after having been stripped and cleaned.
Attachments
IMG_0004.jpg
IMG_0004.jpg (57.81 KiB) Viewed 2590 times
"A little learning is a dangerous thing"

(Also known as John, the current forum administrator)