Packaging for Shipping/Delivery

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
RobynPlater
Organisation: None
Interests: Framing

Packaging for Shipping/Delivery

Post by RobynPlater »

Hi,

I'm doing some investigation into the best and most cost effective way of shipping large framed prints (up to 30 x 40 inches).
I've found a possible option: http://www.packaframe.co.uk/page2.html but the problem is that it's too expensive in relation to the value of the items I'd be shipping (and I'd need bespoke sizes).

Does anybody have any other suggestions for packaging for shipping? (especially anybody who regularly ships items).

Secondly does anyone have any recommendations for careful and cost effective couriers?

All items would be sent within the UK.

Thanks
misterdiy
Organisation: Decormount
Interests: Picture framing, mount-cutting, photoshop et al

Re: Packaging for Shipping/Delivery

Post by misterdiy »

We ship framed items around the country (including Norther Ireland) but we do use acrylic glazing.
We pack it ourselves using double wall corrugated and polystyrene.

We use Royal Mail since they are about the most cost effective if you are not sending volume and we rarely get an issue with damage.
RobynPlater
Organisation: None
Interests: Framing

Post by RobynPlater »

Thanks for your reply. Where do you buy your acrylic glazing from? It seems to be a lot more expensive than glass.
I think this might make it prohibitive for what we had in mind unfortunately. We're already up to about £25 for packaging and delivery alone, which for a low value non-conservation print item is a high percentage of the total cost.

Regarding polystyrene - do you get this made to fit the framed object or do you mean you just buy flat sheets of it?
DCS
Organisation: Durham City Studios
Interests: Photography and Framing

Post by DCS »

We ship frames and mounts out most days throughout the country also using double walled cardboard and polystyrene around the edges.
A lot of our cardboard is from the bridal shop next door though we do occasionally buy 48"x48" sheets in but quite expensive.

We also use Parcel Force after trying most of the others and would recommend that you steer well clear of Yodel as they are the most un organised couldn't care less company I have ever encountered. We sent a batch of five frames with them on a 24hr delivery to various destinations, one particular frame sat in Middlesborough for three days then Wednesbury for another two before being delivered to Gloucester. One of the others destined for Stockport also sat in Wednesbury for two days and eventually arrived smashed to pieces.

Our Acrylic for a lot of the internet (budget work) we obtain from Radius Mouldings in Darlington at about £10 a sheet inc VAT.
For my sins I own and operate
http://www.durhamcitystudios.com
misterdiy
Organisation: Decormount
Interests: Picture framing, mount-cutting, photoshop et al

Post by misterdiy »

We buy Acrylic from a number of sources, depending on the job, but you could get it from Lion who sell 36" x 48" sheets of 1.5mm sheet.
We buy the polystyrene in sheets and cut to size. Also buy the bouble wall packaging in sheets of 36" x 48" at 100 per time, but like DCS says, its quite expensive.

Pacakging & Postage would be nowhere near £25 though. My guess for a 30" x 40" frame would be around £16 (we haven't shipped a frame that big though)
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

I wrap the picture very well in Bubble wrap then place a piece of mdf backing over the front then wrap in Corrugated card or if I have sheets of double wall board use them with corrugated (saved from arqadia packing) around the edges. The loads of tape and straps and jobs a goodun.

I don't usually use styrene or acrylic glass and over the years only had a few breakages.

I always send using interparcel.

:D :D