Canon Large Format Printer - Engineer Needed

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
RobC
Organisation: On the Edge Picture Framing
Interests: Boats, Planes & Cycling. One of the three I can afford!

Canon Large Format Printer - Engineer Needed

Post by RobC »

Hi

Does anyone know of a qualified freelance engineer who can service and maintain Canon large format printers? We're based in Leicestershire.

We have a couple of Canon iPF printers that have behaved well for a few years now, but the moment they do go wrong I won't know who to go to. All our other equipment we have regularly serviced and feel that that we ought to be doing something to maintain these printers. I know that Canon do have an engineering department, but they want you to mortgage your house before they'll even come out to site and I refuse to play their blackmail game.

So is there a good 'proper' engineer out there?

Rob
Trinity
Organisation: Trinity Framing
Interests: Classic Tractors, Honda Blackbird, Eunos, anything with an engine

Re: Canon Large Format Printer - Engineer Needed

Post by Trinity »

Ditto request, East Yorkshire / Yorkshire please
Do not be afraid of strangers, for thereby many have entertained angels unawares.
chris62
Organisation: Sansom Gallery
Interests: Photography/Carpentry

Post by chris62 »

Try these I know they are Epson, but they may know Canons http://www.rockwellhitec.co.uk/
Tim
Organisation: Deepwell Framing
Interests: Photography, Growing it, Cooking it, Eating it. Sauvignon Blanc. Syrah.

Post by Tim »

I'm NOT looking for work, BUT - these printers are all fairly modular, and any half decent PC field engineer (if such peeps still exist) should be able to help IF you have a copy of the service manual.......

As stated elsewhere, I'm in the market for another large format printer, and there's often VERY good deals to be had on eBay for printers with fairly insignificant faults going for peanuts just 'cos no-one knows how to take them apart.....so I'll be doing my own maintenance. Probably on Canon, so I may be able to help.......

...memo to self - new business opportunity?
Youth and experience are no match for age and treachery...
RobC

Post by RobC »

Thanks everyone. I'll try the companies suggested.

Tim, I'm not sure I agree about any PC field engineer. I can't see that they'd have experience with the inner workings and finer points of these printers. I'd rather pay someone who 'knows' how to service them - I'v seen too many generic engineers 'experimenting' and learning as they go.
Richard Photofusion
Organisation: Photofusion
Interests: Photography, and carting a young gymnast from class to comp to where ever the next sport is.*

*young, now a teenager...

Post by Richard Photofusion »

Not a direct recommendation, but lots of useful info here: http://canonipf.wikispaces.com/ - some of the posters are UK based.

Also you could try emailing Keith Cooper http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/
He's over in your direction, and seems well connected, and quite helpful (though might be slightly wiped out if he was over at Focus this week), so might know someone in the know.

I would certainly only want a skilled, experienced tech to play with my 8300 - way too many variables, which is why Canon (USA) charge a flat fee of $1500 to fix your machine. We were lucky enough to buy the 3year maintenance agreement with our machine (http://www.velmex.co.uk/services.html) - it's easily paid for itself in replacement print heads, over the past couple of years. I'd be really nervous about the thought of getting one second hand.

Hope something above helps.
RobC

Post by RobC »

Thanks Richard. I certainly concur with your view about experienced techies.

I will make contact with Keith at Northlight. I am aware of him and his business and have meant to contact him generally, so maybe this is the prompt I need. Thanks.