Keeping a poster flat without dry mounting?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
PictureHouse
Organisation: Didsbury
Interests: Framing, Fleetwood Mac

Keeping a poster flat without dry mounting?

Post by PictureHouse »

Hello

I have a customer who wishes to frame some old vintage movie posters. Although I have advised on the benefits of conservation framing, he has decided to proceed without a mount (aesthetic reasons) and have the posters sit directly in the frame. Two of the posters are in near perfect condition, but the paper is very thin so when I put them in the frame they ripple quite badly. He does not want to risk dry mounting them as they are quite valuable - is there any other method to get them flat? I am using a rigid backing board with a conservation barrier.

Any help much appreciated

Paul
prospero

Re: Keeping a poster flat without dry mounting?

Post by prospero »

Old posters are often mounted on fabric. This is an accepted method and apparently does not affect the value. Posters were not meant to last, so the paper is not the best quality, so reinforcement is a good thing on the whole. Having said that, I have never done one and don't know of anyone who offers this service. Not a job for the faint-hearted I'm thinking....... :?

If you are going to put it in a frame without a mount, you would have to hinge it at the top and make sure the edges are not crimped. Can be done, but you need a frame with a wide rebate, so you can insert a narrow spacer. Adding a slip would do the trick, if this fits in with the design.
The slip goes under the glass. A narrow strip of 2-ply along the back of the slip to lift it off the back board. Or a strip of trimmed-down linen tape. You only need lift up the slip enough so the poster can move freely at the edges
The edges of the poster go under the slip - but not tight up to the 2-ply strip. A bit of jiggle room is needed.

Bit tricky to explain in words. :?
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
grahamdown
Organisation: The Village Framer
Interests: Photography, Mountainbiking

Post by grahamdown »

Why not use acrylic glazing as you can then make a sandwich which would keep the posters flate and would not cause any damage to them?
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

If he is conservation framing the glazing shouldn't touch the artwork at all.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Sandwiching won't keep them flat. :(
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

As they say it's the Nature of the Beast , these old film posters are very thin paper and it will ripple if not mounted down, personally I wouldn't drymount, but would pay to get it done on to fabric as prospero has already mentioned. Even if you did use a window mount, they would almost certainly ripple as well.
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

This company would be worth contacting for getting your posters mounted onto fabric.

I used to live near them when they were based in Thames Ditton in Surrey. This is going back at least 20 years, so they've been doing this sort of thing for a long time and will know what they are doing.

http://www.mapmounting.co.uk/
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
PictureHouse
Organisation: Didsbury
Interests: Framing, Fleetwood Mac

Post by PictureHouse »

Thanks for your advice on this.

Paul