Second opinion...

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Vince442
Organisation: Alchemy Art & Framing Ltd
Interests: Art, photography, architecture, bonsai, travelling

Second opinion...

Post by Vince442 »

I have a customer who had an urban limited edition print framed by a different framer. The print is worth £1000 and has gold leaf in a large section. The print is 120cm x 100cm. It was framed as a poster; the print sitting in between the glass and the mdf backing.

The customer asked me to remove some dirt (including other things) from off the white section around the print. I pointed out that it shouldn't be sitting against the glass and should have an undermount. If there were spacers put in under the rebate, would the 2mm glass be adequate for the size of picture? (assuming the small spacers are adequate to provide enough distance between the print and the glass.

The alternatives, as I see it are using the same frame with spacers and acrylic, or a new frame with mount and 3mm glass.

Am I correct in my thinking of all this? Are there any other alternative ways of solving this issue. Is it an issue?
Abacus
Organisation: Abacus Picture Framing and Gallery
Interests: Picture Framing, Furniture making.

Re: Second opinion...

Post by Abacus »

Your thinking is fine, but I think you could use 3mm glass and spacers. Definitely needs a backing card, or barrier board.
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

Really needs reframing with a mount and under mount, if you stick some spacers in there it will still be pinched at the edges and is still likely to bow forward and touch the glass, dry mounting will prevent this but not recommended on a valuable item.
Vince442

Post by Vince442 »

Thanks....that was what I was thinking.
prospero

Post by prospero »

£1000? It needs mounting/hinging in the 'proper'way. That's going to make it bigger and more expensive. But that's not your fault. The thing is as big as it is and no smaller. :wink:

Be wary of cleaning the bits off the border. That's a restorer's job and unless you know what you are doing you can cause irreparable harm.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Vince442

Post by Vince442 »

Thanks. Yes indeed, expensive.

The bits I have cleaned off....just some black from the frame and a hair or two!

Gave the customer my opinion on what needs doing and they are thinking about it.