WANTED:- any unwanted equipment to get started

Buying/selling equipment
Situations wanted/vacant
Forum rules
All sellers are required to have a forum profile that identifies them clearly. (Such as - name, surname, location, business name et cetera)
hintonsinclair
Organisation: Hinton & Sinclair Photography
Interests: Framing, Photography, arts

WANTED:- any unwanted equipment to get started

Post by hintonsinclair »

Hi Guys,
its a long shot but we are looking for any unwanted equipment to get us started, with the cost of machinery what it is we thought best to give it a go first.
we are looking for mitre/underpinner/mount cutter ANY essential equipment to get started.
if you have any just taking up space we would love to help get out of your way.

thanks for your help in advance.
Wayne
hintonsinclair

Re: WANTED:- any unwanted equipment to get started

Post by hintonsinclair »

sorry guys just realised ot looks like a total beg!!! sorry if you do have some stuff you want gone great and it will be hugley appreciated of course if you have some thing but would like a bit of cash for it then please also let me know. God that must have seemed aweful sorry guys.
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Post by GeoSpectrum »

Good kit is not cheap so I don't expect you will get many freebies. What exactly is you need? Do you ned any advice before paying out for kit? Ask away, advice at least comes free on this forum.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
prospero

Post by prospero »

Good thought but tread carefully. You can easily waste a lot of cash buying stuff that appears a bargain, but turns out to be useless. And you can knacker a lot of expensive moulding if you don't cut/join it right. As I keep telling my customers, you got to spend enough to get your money's worth". But good equipment does tend to hold it's value. There are a lot of gadgets floating around that are intended for picture framing, but they are firmly aimed at the hobbyist. If you want pro results then get pro kit.

ballpark figures for s/h stuff
Mitre cutter maybe £6-900. Blades are around £200 a set, so if a machine comes with spare blades..... These machines are built like tanks so older ones can be worth having. You can usually gauge hoe much hammer they have had by the holes that the pedal pivots in. If they are elongated, then it's had a hard life. But it takes serious abuse to actually cause bad damage to one.
Underpinner 4-500. Mountcutter about the same. If you buy a pneumatic underpinner then you'll need a biggish compressor.

Dismiss any thoughts of electric chop saws. They are cheap enough, but not accuarate enough for picture frames. You can join frames with a mitre vice and hammer&nails, but it's a long-winded procedure. Ditto hand mount cutters.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
hintonsinclair

Post by hintonsinclair »

Hi Guys,

thanks for the reply, yeah fully appreciate that good kit cost, and yes you are right buy once buy right only thing is we are only just dipping our toe in the water so to speak, our frame volume is very low at the moment and turn around by out sourcing is too long so we thought get some basic kit so too speak and see how it goes, if it looks like a good build up then we would whole hearted throw ourselves into it, we were just hoping that we might drop lucky and find some one who has retired, closed down etc etc who just wants to move stuff on, were looking for a whole array of kit and of course we wouldnt expect to be inundated with people saying "hey yeah buy all means you can have my morso for free", over the past few months as we have been moving closer to this point we have missed some ideal bits of kit, like a casses 79/78 under pinner sold localy for £200, a morso f sold locally for £350 like i said people passing away, retireing or closing down and every single time weve been a day too late or a phone call too late, so thought it was worth a shot asking on the forum.
indeed prospero i have researched into every way possiable of framing and you are correct that the only real way forward is with a morso type machine for the best results etc its just we just havent got that kind of money to go out and just buy reconed or new its just too much money.
So we can always hope lol
Mary
Organisation: Portra
Interests: painting

Post by Mary »

I have a very old Framers Corner foot operated underpinner in my way, it's in working order. You can have it if you don't mind collecting from mid Wales. I have v nails for it too but would like £ for them as they are easily saleable and I am poor :wink: pm me if interested
paullbrown
Organisation: Ronny's of christchurch
Interests: Fishing

Post by paullbrown »

Just put ourframing workshop on eBay
Contact me if you are intersted
Canvas4u
Organisation: Canvas4u
Interests: Photography

Post by Canvas4u »

Hi I have a bench operated morso with blades it operates by hand and is a good bit off kit
But I want £150 pluss postage I have used it for 6 year and it gives perfect
Joints every time if you want to contact me my number is
07712261600 ok
MarkScrivens
Organisation: MoonsDrift
Interests: Photography, Motorsport

Post by MarkScrivens »

I have a Pro-Turner underpinner with extension wings, its in good condition and it takes Cassese vee nails.

I am in Stoke-on-trent so not far from you, I want £125 for it.

I also have an old Keen cut mount cutter (now have a CMC) again I want £125 for it.

PM me and I can send you pictures.

Regards

Mark
hintonsinclair

Post by hintonsinclair »

Guys,
thank you so much for all your replys. i am really really sorry but i havent been reciving notifications that the thread had been replied too.
i am ANNOYED lol, i will get to you all in time thank you so much.

Wayne
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Post by David McCormack »

If you have never made a picture frame before you would do well to go on a course. :D You are very close to http://www.lionpic.co.uk/training.aspx who offer one day training courses.

You can make quality frames using basic equipment http://theframersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8745 if you only need to make one or two frames a week but once you need to make many frames a day then you need professional equipment like the Morso, Casesse & Keencut etc.

The Fine Art Trade Guild website also lists members who offer training.

Getting your hands on the equipment is one thing but nothing beats being shown how to use it by somebody who knows how to use it :wink:

Once you have joined your four bits of wood you then need to think about different glass types.. museum or UV or float, cutting glass, cleaning glass, flumbs http://theframersforum.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Main.F cutting window mounts, board types, board thickness, board colour, barrier boards, conservation boards, backing boards, undermounts, paper hinging tapes, T-hinges, mounting techniques, reversible mounting, float mounting, fillets and spacers, strap mounts, framers points, hanging & frame hardware, hanging methods, cord or wire, strap hangers, D-rings, gummed or sticky tape, two wall hooks or one, cork bumpers, wood or aluminium or polymer moulding, oak or ash or obeche, profiles, rebate depth, pre-finished or hand finished, paint or wax, chop service or chop fingers, jumpers for goalposts and how much to charge your customers??.. I love it :D
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/