Framing a book

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Smiffy
Organisation: Frame
Interests: Wood, glass & v-nails

Framing a book

Post by Smiffy »

Hey everyone!

Just had an order in which includes the framing of an old WW2 discharge booklet.. pretty tatty, but i've sorted that with some good old archival tape.

Just after methods of attaching the booklet to the backboard, preferably without the use of melinex etc...

I was thinking about float mounting it, but just a bit worried that over time the tape won't hold as it should.

Any suggestions??

Thanks!
Roboframer

Re: Framing a book

Post by Roboframer »

If you do all bar the cover with melinex then that's it safely supported - then the cover could be closed and held with 'archival tape'
Smiffy

Post by Smiffy »

Hey Robo..

I forgot to mention, the booklet is to be mounted open, so that the certificate of discharge is shown.

Melinex, never used... dont know how to use it or where to buy.....??
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

OK so for support, melinex-wrap all but the two pages showing and then deal with those separately with hinges etc.

After doing a training workshop with me :-)
prospero

Post by prospero »

I would steer away from sticking anything to it. Old paper is very fragile and and adhesive might only stick to the surface which would pull away very easily.

Now would be a good time to gen up on Melinex. :wink:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

Lion sell a big roll, not too expensive and you will use it again. http://www.lionpic.co.uk/product/Clear- ... 926,0.aspx
Download the Jim Miller book from here (3rd post down) and play about with it. http://theframersforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... ler#p75045
benjiman grapes
Organisation: GN Framing
Interests: I'm a philosophical tea drinking film geek gamer with OCD. My family is established in Norfolk, England prior to 1686 and I butter with a spoon.

Post by benjiman grapes »

In avoiding anything being stuck to it i would determine my glass size then cut a thin aperture for the spine to sit in.
Using fishing line, I'd stitch the book down (not stitching through the book) to hold everything in place.

I saw the technique used in a castle in Scotland just outside of Aberdeen. The castle's deeds had been stitched down using a a grid with each stitch being about 100mm apart going horizontal and vertical. Standing 5 foot back you barely notice the thread.
Benjiman Grapes
DURUM PATIENTIA FRANCO
| www.benjiman.co.uk | benjiman.grapes@hotmail.co.uk |
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Don't like the sound of that! Anyway it's a document, you don't want to view it from 5 ft away, you want to read it.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Fishing line degrades in daylight. Mylar doesn't. You could cut strips of Mylar the same width as fishing line (not saying do, but can) and it is just as strong if not stronger.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

.... and flat.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Got this guy just this morning with it. :giggle:

Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

melin' excellent :clap:
prospero

Post by prospero »

My lar-gest catch yet. 8)

15 all. New balls please. :clap:
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I knocked this up quickly - 'scuse rubbish photos.

Cut a piece of mount board the same size as the open book plus two sheets of melinex the width of a page and about 3" longer.
melinex1.JPG
melinex1.JPG (288.29 KiB) Viewed 7371 times
Cut two slits in the melinex sheets, slighty longer than a page and about half an inch in. Place the sheets of melinex over everything but the pages to be viewed
melinex2.JPG
melinex2.JPG (260.93 KiB) Viewed 7371 times

Place the mount board under the book and wrap the melinex on to it - fix with double-sided tape; burnish it on with a bone folder (or a knife handle etc) - trim excess melinex. You can now fix this board carrying the book on to your mounting board.
melinex3.JPG
melinex3.JPG (384.03 KiB) Viewed 7371 times

Tuck the exposed pages in to the slits you made earlier.
melinex4.JPG
melinex4.JPG (359.66 KiB) Viewed 7371 times
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

:clap: Great how-to. You should run framing courses John :P
I spoke to a crafty friend recently and she was in the middle of replacing a wind chime that she had hung indoors with fishing line. It had become brittle and snapped. I don't think I would copy anything the Scots do :roll:
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

Great mini tutorial - I'd gladly pay you a visit for a full course like that but getting to you (travel etc etc) would be the problem :(

Cheers
benjiman grapes
Organisation: GN Framing
Interests: I'm a philosophical tea drinking film geek gamer with OCD. My family is established in Norfolk, England prior to 1686 and I butter with a spoon.

Post by benjiman grapes »

Going to look into this Melinex.
I think my boss needs to know about this stuff.
Benjiman Grapes
DURUM PATIENTIA FRANCO
| www.benjiman.co.uk | benjiman.grapes@hotmail.co.uk |
Smiffy

Post by Smiffy »

Thanks for the info guys!

Sorry not got back on to thank you sooner - but I got the roll from lion (will blatantly last a lifetime!), and had a crack. Done it different to the master class shown. It worked! And if I knew how to upload a pic from my phone as that's what I'm typing on, I would! Will try from the computer tomorrow..
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

Glad to hear things worked out for you :clap: Would be interested to see how the finished article looked - been trying to do a few things myself and I love to see other examples!

Thanks for the update :)
Smiffy

Post by Smiffy »

Here we go... Hopefully the upload will work!

That I did was to use a couple of thin strips and one thicker strip. I used the Melinex to secure the book to a piece of mount board that was cut approx 5mm short of the size of the book in each direction. Once the book was secured with a shed load of tape, the board to which it was attached was glued to the back board.

I would have preferred to do it in a way to not see the Melinex at all, but it seemed impossible, especially with the fragile state the book was in.

Let me know what you think :-)
Attachments
photo_2.jpg
photo_2.jpg (452.51 KiB) Viewed 7152 times
photo_3.jpg
photo_3.jpg (558.92 KiB) Viewed 7152 times