Lable writers other than Dymo

Software related questions, and
suggestions for new features or improvements.
ChrisG
Organisation: Hampshire Framing Limited
Interests: .

Lable writers other than Dymo

Post by ChrisG »

I am looking to get a label printer primarily to produce professional looking frame labels (I hate seeing the job number hand written on a printed label). I know that Estlite is compatible with Dymo label printers but will it work cleanly with other makes, in particular Brother QL-750 which is a particularly good price at the moment?
JohnMcafee
Organisation: Scenes
Interests: Picture Framing
Putting the world to rights

Re: Lable writers other than Dymo

Post by JohnMcafee »

EstLite will drive most of the current models in the Dymo range, label printers by other manufacturers are not supported.
"A little learning is a dangerous thing"

(Also known as John, the current forum administrator)
markw

Post by markw »

You can get the Dymo 450 for £65 ish - quite a good reduction on this printer which was around £100 when it first came out. Being a popular printer its easy to get cheap labels - that is a factor that is worth looking at as the labels can be prohibitively expensive. Third party labels can be just as good as manufacturers product at fraction of cost. The Dymo works flawlessly with Estlite and is a great addition helping you to produce a professional customised label for each job.
ChrisG
Organisation: Hampshire Framing Limited
Interests: .

Post by ChrisG »

Thanks for that, Dymo it is then.
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

Avery Labels has a wonderful FREE software package that can be downloaded. If you use the "serial number" function it will print your work order numbers.

http://www.avery.com/avery/en_us/Templa ... /Templates

http://www.avery.com/avery/en_us/Search ... s&x=3&y=15
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
JohnMcafee
Organisation: Scenes
Interests: Picture Framing
Putting the world to rights

Post by JohnMcafee »

While I have always found the Avery software (which integrates beautifully with Microsoft Word, and other applications) really useful for mail-merging lists and printing address labels, even auto- incrementing and printing serial numbers, but I always thought that there were too many problems to overcome before it could be used by framers for printing anything but generic labels.

For example, if you are unable to print full pages of labels at a time then you have the problem of starting each new print job on a partly used sheet of labels, and while this is certainly do-able, it would quickly become a huge pain in the tits. Perhaps this might be overcome by dedicating a regular A4 printer to the sole function of printing labels.

Then there’s the problem with the work order numbers. If the number is set to auto-increment, it would be tedious to have to use an alternative method in those cases where a single job has multiple frames and the label required for each has the same reference number.

Jerome, if you use the Avery software, or know anyone who uses it to print frame labels as you suggest, I’d be interested to hear how it is done.
"A little learning is a dangerous thing"

(Also known as John, the current forum administrator)
michelle
Organisation: Blackcab Studio
Interests: Driving my 1965 Bedford Dormobile.

Post by michelle »

Has anyone managed to use the Dymo 450 Duo with Estlite? and if so how, I am struggling to get it to work and wish I had bought a basic dymo rather than one that does ribbon labels as well. I thought it would be ideal for chevron labels.
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

John,

I used to use the Avery software to preprint bar codes for my corner samples as well as other items (raffle tickets for my Rotary Club fundraiser). I used the serial number field with a bar code font and presto bar coded sequenced labels. As I added an item to inventory I would just assign a preprinted label to the new inventory item. I also had a template I designed with info that I could modify. I simple added the translation of the bar code in the appropriate field and print my labels withe a bar code showing as well as a translation of the code.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com