Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Flexi tab gun

Post by pramsay13 »

I'm looking for a flexi tab gun to allow me to supply someone with box frames. Are the cheap ones £30? any good or do you get what you pay for?
prospero

Re: Flexi tab gun

Post by prospero »

If you have a compressor then a pneumatic gun is the preferred weapon. But a new one is not a small investment and they are quite irksome to use without a overhead balancer.

There's the Romaflex electric one http://www.lionpic.co.uk/product/Romafl ... 070,0.aspx. Better than a manual but also really needs a balancer if you are doing a lot of frames. The cable is less clumsy than an airline though. Not exactly a cheap item.

Manual one are sort of OK if the wood is softish and they don't have to be bent too often. :roll:

I like spring clips for this type of application. Not as neat as bendy tabs but stand up better to repeated opening.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

Thanks prospero.
These are just for box frames I'm going to supply to a customer so not at the pneumatic stage just yet.
The wood is soft and the clips should only be opened and closed once.
prospero

Post by prospero »

You could use the trad turnbuttons, but the drawback is that they rely on the back being level with the frame. Very fiddly to fit as well. You have to get the screws just tight enough to allow movement but not loose enough to drop open.

Lion do some good spring clips - small, large and large with a scrolly bit on the end. I use a lot of the un-scrolly large sort for canvases, but they are great for removable backs. You can band them to alter tension so as to account for differing levels between frame and back. The little ones are OK, but they sometimes have very sharp bits on the end that need to be filed off.

http://www.lionpic.co.uk/hardware-suppl ... clips.aspx

525 are the favs.
566 are the finger-nicking bad ones. :?
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

framers corner do a good pneumatic flexigun at about £40. see the other thread about them. next best thing is an omer or casesse at over £300. Manual flexiguns aren't really up to the job if you are doing anything more than the occasional one, or you want a hobby replacing springs.