Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Bagpuss
Organisation: Adam The Picture Framer
Interests: TBA

Framing signed 12inch LP sleeve

Post by Bagpuss »

Silly question maybe but last week a customer came in with an LP of The Jam, signed by all the band. I was going to encapsulate the sleeve/cover in Mylar and stick that to a backmount, I'll then lay a single mount around it. My quetsion is, should the vinyl record stay in the Sleeve when I frame it ?( only the sleeve will be on show ). What would you do ?

cheers,
Adam/Bagpuss
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )
Roboframer

Re: Framing signed 12inch LP sleeve

Post by Roboframer »

I wouldn't use encapsulation on that, too bulky and heavy, especially if you opt to keep the record inside.

I'd use a variation of this method http://theframersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5438 and then you won't have to put a mount around it (you could do if that's the look you want, but no need to for mounting purposes) If the record sleeve opens you could use the exact method, if not the variation would be both sheets of Melinex would go over the front.

As for the record staying inside the sleeve or not, I'd leave it up to the customer. Does s/he want to play it or look at it again, or would keeping it inside be a safer place than wherever the customer would otherwise keep it?

If they are kept together (maybe with a note on the back of the frame stating that the record is inside) it would be more of a collector's item, they could become parted otherwise.
WelshFramer
Organisation: Neuadd Bwll Framing
Interests: Does running a framing business leave any time for interests?

Post by WelshFramer »

How about attaching a sleeve to the back of the frame and keeping the record in that?
Mike Cotterell
Neuadd Bwll Framing

http://www.welshframing.com
My status
Nigel Nobody

Post by Nigel Nobody »

This is one I did a few years ago. Used a piece of 2 ply cut to fit inside the sleeve and a little smaller than the size of the record. The record is held in place with a plastic bolt, with a plastic cap that clips onto a washer under the nut. Two small strips of mylar across the corners of the sleeve hold that end of the arrangement in place.
This one also had a fold out on the sleeve, which is opened to show it all.
P9303996.JPG
P9303996.JPG (77.17 KiB) Viewed 4861 times
Bagpuss

Post by Bagpuss »

That looks fantastic :clap:
Thanks for your responses everyone.
Adam/Bagpuss
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )
Bagpuss

Post by Bagpuss »

Roboframer wrote:I wouldn't use encapsulation on that, too bulky and heavy, especially if you opt to keep the record inside.

I'd use a variation of this method http://theframersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5438 and then you won't have to put a mount around it (you could do if that's the look you want, but no need to for mounting purposes) If the record sleeve opens you could use the exact method, if not the variation would be both sheets of Melinex would go over the front.
Well I took Roboframer's advice and looked at Jim Miller's book 'Mounting objects with clear film', it has been on the shelf for a year or so, what a lot of useful tips in there. I have'nt done the LP yet but thought I would create a Mylar wrap around an old hymn book someone brought in recently. I'm really pleased with it, the book is totally protected and the mylar strips are secured through slits in the mat board,
very neat indeed, I'll be using a version of this on the LP :clap: Here's a photo of it.
hymn_book2.jpg
hymn_book2.jpg (42.7 KiB) Viewed 4775 times
AllFramed
Organisation: AllFramed
Interests: Framing, Photography, The Clarets, Chateau Musar

Post by AllFramed »

That looks really good. Can you see the Mylar through the glass, it doesn't show in the picture?
There's more to the picture, than meets the eye. Hey hey, my my.
Bagpuss

Post by Bagpuss »

AllFramed wrote:That looks really good. Can you see the Mylar through the glass, it doesn't show in the picture?
I think if you were looking at it for the first time it wouldn't be that apparent but once someone pointed it out you could. In this instance it worked really well, I have done the mylar pouches before for old photos, letters etc., but this is the first time I've used this wrapping method. :D
thanks,
Adam/Bagpuss
fraggle
Organisation: Perfectly Framed
Interests: Gardening, tennis, DIY

Post by fraggle »

Hi all

Continuing along this theme. I have some original Beatles LP covers to frame. They will not contain the LPs which makes things a bit simpler. It needs to be reversible with as much of the cover showing as possible.

I will be using a deepish frame as chosen by the customer which will allow for several layers of boards if need be and the customer only wants single mount. I have seen several posts regarding mylar tape, bags and wraps but have not used this product before.

1) Can someone tell me where I can buy mylar tape? I have seen several products in Lion (page 86). But not sure if any of these are mylar and/or suitable and strong enough for such an item. If not, what else could I use to support the cover without damaging it? Ideally the customer does not want anything visible other than the album cover and, as I said, they would like as much of the cover showing as is possible.
2) The album cover has an original very thin plastic film stuck to it to give it a glossy finish. If I am using conservation grade mount board is it still OK to have mountboard touching it?
3) The back of the cover has print on it. If I use acid free barrier board behind the cover will it be OK for the print to touch it or do I need to space it away from the barrier board in some way e.g. by sandwiching foam board between the mount board and barrier board whilst keeping it out of sight and away from the cover?
4) Do you put something inside the album cover to minimise warping and keep it rigid? e.g. a sheet of barrier board cut slightly smaller than the cover.

Thanks
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Nice idea to put something inside the sleeve - click on the link in the second post in this topic to answer many more of your questions. Sorry for missing photos in my posts, but explanations are there.
fraggle wrote:the customer only wants single mount
You don't need a window mount, the method shows the whole item, it's fixed on to a board (floated), then use spacers in the frame rebate to give space from glass.
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

we do them with sink mounts, we have done around 30 like this for one client
Record and Sleave copy.jpg
Record and Sleave copy.jpg (1.24 MiB) Viewed 4418 times
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/