Job Of The Year

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
SquareFrames
Organisation: Dromore Picture Framing / Down School of
Interests: Reading, relaxing, and funnily enough, its hard to stop thinking of framing

Job Of The Year

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi Folks,

As its almost the end of yet another busy year, I must admit the forum has been very helpful with the topics it has been discussing. Lots of ideas, words of wisdom (some not so wise), hints, tips, etc. and especially the discussions created.

What about everyone posting their 'Job of The Year' Everyone must have a job they either:

1. Loved the challenge and produced one of their best pieces of work
2. Got bogged down and could not do it
3. Hated completely, but did it anyway
4. Loved it so much, they could have lay down beside it, and slept
5. Everyone must have a higlight / Job of The Year

You know the idea? Go on take 5 mins over a coffee and tell us all

One of mine would be the 50 year old Russian Sniper Camera, approx. value - £1500.00, (client didnt actually know) weighed about 10Ibs (naked), length was approx. 2 feet and 9 inches thick, had the 2 extra lens, 2 screw drivers, 2 film containers, and the awkward leather strap.

When boxed (the box was roughly 12 inches deep) mounted & attached to the backing board, glazed and taped up, it actually weighed about 3 stone (42Lbs) for the American division. The outside size of the frame was 32 x 20 (inches), the inside of the box was hand decorated Matt Black. I had to make a cradle to set the camera on and attach it with 30amp fuse wire, also painted black (ever tried painting fuse wire?), the extra lens and tools were siliconed to the backing (as directed) after being set into the board (holes drilled to set the lens in, etc.) All in all an excellent piece of work, although time consuming and the price reflected it.

My highlights of the year: taking and passing the GCF Advanced Mount Design & Function exam, becoming only the 2nd person world-wide to pass it, being asked to become a full committee member of the Framers Committee with the Fine Art Trade Guild and my framing school having its best year to date, with bookings well into March / April 2005.

I hope everyone has a good Christmas and a very prosperous New Year in 2005, especially John McAfee, after the year he has suffered, may you go from strength to strength in your new premises, GOOD LUCK in 2005.

Steven

PS Dont be shy, relive your best / worst parts of 2004
Someone Once Said 'Knowledge Is Power'
Down School of Picture Framing http://www.downschoolofpictureframing.co.uk
Ireland's Only Accredited Training School
GCF Examination Centre
Accredited Valiani Demonstration / Training Centre