Mount sizes

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
MelvynB
Organisation: Creativecurtains&blinds
Interests: Football

Mount sizes

Post by MelvynB »

Been framing shirts etc for about 10 months all going well but family are all asking me to frame photos and prints is there a formula for size of border on mounts I seam to remember a guy putting a link up but can't find it thanks in advance
Melvyn
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Re: Mount sizes

Post by StevenG »

Hi Melvyn

Not sure what you mean when you say formula, there's certain guidelines that you might want to use but formula? Dunno, maybe I've misunderstood the query though :?
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

Nope, no formula.
Size of mount will depend on size of item to be framed and moulding width etc.
I have cut a number of different width mount corners which I put on image along with moulding chevron.
This will give you an idea of what size looks best.
Generally it is bigger is better for mount sizes, although not always.
And then you have to decide if you will cut the lower edge wider than the other 3.
MelvynB

Post by MelvynB »

Actually guidelines is a better way of putting it is there a 1 page summary that gives a starting point eg in the curtain industry general rule for full length curtains with valance above is that the valance be between 10 and 15% of the overall drop of curtains to give a balanced look, used as a starting point when discussing with the customer or could somebody suggest a good book on the subject thanks
Melvyn
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

the mount and the frame should not be the same width. In general I always put big mounts on at least 3" but on something 20 x16 I would be tempted to go bigger. But when you go bigger you often need to balance it with double and triple mounts with varying amounts of gap showing and if you can cut them extra thick mounts look good.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Remember you see with your eyes, or more accurately, you brain. You have all the dimensions of the print, but you cannot quantify the content of the image. Calculators are very good at number crunching, but have no aesthetic sense.

My advice is to study as many examples of framed work as you can. Art galleries, restaurants, dentists waiting rooms.... :lol: See how the mounts work with different stuff. Don't be afraid to think "that doesn't look right".
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Good point Peter I spend most of my life looking at things and saying that looks odd, hopefully not my own. :giggle: :giggle:
MelvynB

Post by MelvynB »

Looks like my lucky wife is going out on Sunday think she would like to visit a couple of galleries had 4 hours today becoming good friends with my ultimat love the idea of double and triple mounts will post a few pictures when finished thanks for your help
Melvyn
Kwik Picture Framing
Organisation: Kwik Picture Framing
Interests: Picture framing
Making just that little bit of difference to someone, somewhere.

Post by Kwik Picture Framing »

The best thing that I can suggest is that you look at as much work as you possibly can. As a human being your brain will "like" certain ratios, and it will be immediately obvious to you what looks good and what doesn't. There are guidelines, but ultimately you will get to know what is and isn't right for various different types of project.