Looking for "aged white" cartridge paper

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Looking for "aged white" cartridge paper

Post by Not your average framer »

I'm looking for a supplier of an "aged white" cartridge paper. It needs to look to keeping with 1920's / 1930's art deco gouache paintings. Would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks,
Mark
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Trillian
Organisation: Considering the options. Again!
Interests: Changes on a daily basis, but I'm never without a book to read.

Re: Looking for "aged white" cartridge paper

Post by Trillian »

Hi Mark

Not sure if this is what you are after:

Canson paper pack

If not, it maybe worth having a look at what else Great Art offers in the way of paper sheets and sketch pads. If you are after larger sheets, or something more 'handmade', I seem to to remember that there were a number of paper mills down your way, who made fantastic papers for artists. Not sure if any of them are still in business, but I'll have a scout about for you.
Trillian
Organisation: Considering the options. Again!
Interests: Changes on a daily basis, but I'm never without a book to read.

Post by Trillian »

Now you've started something...

I'm supposed to be getting the casserole on, and I've got all distracted looking at my favourite thing...paper! :D

I possibly haven't found anything that would suit your needs, but I've found lots of deliciousness to add to my collection of...you guessed it, paper!

However, you could try:

Fred Aldous
Pegasus in Totnes
Ruscombe Paper-unfortunately not near enough to us for us to pop in :(
Two Rivers, Somerset

Failing that, you could try one of your old bookbinding suppliers; or a local art shop maybe able to order something in. The difficulty is, as is often the case, quantity. If you are looking for a few sheets to experiment with, the local art shop maybe your best bet, as many of the other suppliers that I have found have minimum orders.
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Hi Trillian,

Thanks for trying. Unfortunately not quite what I was looking for. Putting what I'm looking for into words is not that easy, but I'll know what I am looking for when I see it.

It needs to look authentic in terms of age and appearance. Perhaps I need to get some old books from a charity shop and take the blank end papers from them.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

Have you tried the 'cold tea' bath Mark? :wink:

Once soaked, you would need to gumtape the sheet to a sturdy board and let it dry slowly.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer

Unfortunately, just tinting the paper is not the solution in this case as I need to match cartridge paper mounts on othe painting both the same artist in the customers collection.

I used to know where I could get exactly the right paper, but the company is no longer trading and I can't remember the correct name for the paper that I need. It's quite pale in colour with an uneven, subtile grubbyness in the paper pulp it's self.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Was it Falkiner fine papers? They're still going, sort of. Try this http://store.falkiners.com/store/produc ... ible-Pack/
Not your average framer

Hi John,

Thanks for that. It sounds like the right sort of thing for the job, but it also looks like you have to buy a whole pack for £84. Ouch!

I've been doing a bit of experimenting with some thin ivory coloured paper over the top of some mottled grey paper. It would be nice if the motted grey was much darker than it is, but the mottled effect still is slightly visible through the ivory paper.

It's not quite perfect, but I might get away with it, if I can't find anything better. I have considered using Photoshop to give the mottled grey, the max contrast treatment so see if this is an improvement, but I won't know until I try it.

Mark
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Not your average framer wrote: It sounds like the right sort of thing for the job, but it also looks like you have to buy a whole pack for £84. Ouch!
Maybe not, a phone call/email enquiry wouldn't hurt, maybe they have something even better, are willing to split that pack or can recommend somewhere else, or maybe you could think of other uses to get your outlay back a few times over, quickly. At least you know what you require actually exists now and for under a quid per sheet :-)
Not your average framer

Yes and the sheet size is 450mm x 640mm. It's a tempting deal, but I need to pay a few bills first, before I'm ready to endulge myself buying a pack of this paper. It wouldn't get wasted either, I would find it very useful stuff to have.

BTW, the idea with the mottled paper worked up to a point, but it was not quite good enough in the end.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Contact them!

They may know of distributors .... retail outlets that will sell you as many sheets as you like.
Not your average framer

I'm gonna buy a full pack in about a month, when I've taken care of some more important priorities. I can afford to wait as there's a lot to do on this particular job.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Ok, but what if, when you bite the bullet, it turns out to be not quite what you want? Might be an idea to try and get a couple of sheets to try first, or even find a shop that sells the stuff by the sheet just so you can go along and see/feel it before buying, as long as there's somewhere close enough.
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

that company sells some really nice stuff, the marbled papers are beautiful, for anyone that's interested Wikipedia has high res out of copyright images of this kind of thing, could be useful if you have a big printer and some ideas of how to use it :).

this was the lowest res file.
Attachments
865px-Marbled_Paper.jpeg
865px-Marbled_Paper.jpeg (453.55 KiB) Viewed 3568 times
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I used them a lot, for calligraphy, when they were Falkiner Fine Paper - fabulous range. Don't do much calligraphy these days, well, none really so no idea how much of their stuff has been carried on.

But that bit you posted looks totally frame-able in its own right!
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

I was thinking that to, there are loads of them the larger files look like tbey will print quite big, but I'm just on my phone and it can be deceptive, might print off and mount a couple of each and see what happens.
Not your average framer

Roboframer wrote:what if.......it turns out to be not quite what you want?
Paper suppliers are usually happy to provide a small sample and since I've already bought from them before, I'm hoping to be able to get a small sample before committing myself to a whole pack.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer