big day today!

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
michelle
Organisation: Blackcab Studio
Interests: Driving my 1965 Bedford Dormobile.

big day today!

Post by michelle »

:clap: can i just say, I am a little excited today ( understatement of the year) as my valiani is being installed! :clap:
any top tips for the first few days?
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Re: big day today!

Post by Merlin »

Congrats. You will not regret the decision.

Top Tips.... Ask lots of questions from the installer and trainer...... If you can make notes of the answers.

Enjoy. :D
John GCF
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Thought you were getting married :giggle: :giggle:
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Post by David McCormack »

Graysalchemy wrote:Thought you were getting married :giggle: :giggle:
So did I :oops: ... and I was just compiling a list of top tips for the first few days :oops:

BTW Michelle, I've just been looking at your Home Visiting Service on your website and it took me a minute to work out that the picture of your showroom is actually inside your van... that's so cool :cool:
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
Uncle Sumo

Post by Uncle Sumo »

Wonderful. Close the door for a few days and play. :mrgreen:
Sean
michelle

Post by michelle »

how funny, the fact that I call my "big day" the arrival of a valiani may be one of the reasons that even though we have been together 22 years we havet got round to getting married. :giggle:
Thanks for the comment about the van, my partner mark fitted it out and i'm very pleased with it. Early days but feedback has been great from customers and it has picked up some good jobs.

Full day of training today with mark (valiani engineer), I am loving it already, even though i did manage to crash the system last night within 20 mins of mark leaving. definitely an operator issue! :Slap:
good to know that you lot are here as well as the valiant support team.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Here's a top tip - you really don't have to stand there watching it in awe, it's OK to go and cut the glass and the backing board or whatever and come and get your mount whenever you're ready. Takes a while :-)

I don't remember if this next tip was given to me during installation/training or after, but anyway - take screenshots of your settings and save them on your CMC PC and somewhere separate as well, even print them out and stick them in a drawer!
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

even better make a back up copy of the machine settings, you can do this 2 ways, simply copy the settings folder and save it somewhere else, ours is in our sync folder and in our cloud, or there is a backup function within the program it's self.

which machine did you go for?
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

That's a bit techie for me (and my old FMD software actually) when I said 'screenshots' ...... I know there are keys you can press ... I actually used a camera!

:xcomputer:
IFGL

Post by IFGL »

Now that is thinking outside of the box Robo, I like it.

Three top tips in one Michelle,
1. get a save only dongle, you can then sit down and create those awkward mounts at a separate computer at your leisure leaving the cmc free for a separate operator.

2. on that 2nd computer and your cmc computer install windows one drive sync folder, set Vstudio to save the files to your one drive (move the mounts folder from vstudio to the one drive), all saved cut files are now available on both machines and saved in the cloud. we do this across 5 PCs and 2 locations so any of my staff can create a mount and it is instantly available to cut.

3. make a short cut to your mounts folder on your desktop or in your task bar, this is far quicker to navigate than going through the Vstudio program to find a mat, double click a VDS file it will either open in Vstudio or Windows will say 'what's this, I don't think so' if that happens click the choose program to open file option, then find the create exe in the Vstudio folder, from then on when you double click a VDS file it will open up in create.

if you need help with any of that you can give me a call and I can talk you through it.
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

IFGL wrote:even better make a back up copy of the machine settings,
I will second the above comment. Especially now after a fresh install and calibration. These are your defaults.
John GCF
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

That's a good advice Darren (IFGL) and a great walk through on how to do it :clap:
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
IFGL

Post by IFGL »

Cheers Steve, you developed a bit of a Italian accent there, must be talking about the Valiani that did it.

Just in case anyone isn't sure what is or how to get the one drive, it is free with and is a part of your Windows machine, it's basically a shared folder with some cloud space, to find it search for windows live essentials, live mail is very useful too.
IFGL

Post by IFGL »

Another tip, do not have the air pressure valve ( the first one on your machine the air gets to) set to high, it will cause fluctuations as your compressor drops air pressure and cause problems, ours was set at 6 bar from first installation, took us a year to find the problem, it is now set to the same pressure our compressor kicks in at, no more pressure fluctuations, no more problems.
Steve N
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

IFGL wrote

"Cheers Steve, you developed a bit of a Italian accent there, must be talking about the Valiani that did it."

Grazie, could also be that I have just returned from a weeks holiday in Italy. :)
Steve CEO GCF (020)

michelle

Post by michelle »

Thanks for all the advice, I will be backing up my info today.
There is a lot to learn, the challenge is keeping up with the machine but I am very impressed so far.
silver
Organisation: bexhill picture framers
Interests: none

Post by silver »

hello there

dose this mean you can cut out names and shapes in mount board as im looking for someone who can do this for a local shop which sells collectables .they use me to do their items but I would like to offer something a little different which would help my framing shop but also thiers .

cost is important as there might be standard sized items to fit an 8x 10" photo a 5cm mount and simpsons ,startrek , starwars ,dr who or football team name cut out in the boarder

please let me know if this is possible or if anyone here can do this can you let me know :D
Steve N

Post by Steve N »

in a 5cm boarder on an 8x10, you will not be able to cut very many letters or shapes, there is a limit on how small detail can be cut. it would be better to use the Pen tool and draw the names and film/tv titles, but cost would not be pence per mount,
Steve CEO GCF (020)