Wanted experienced framer or engineer Cornwall Devon

Buying/selling equipment
Situations wanted/vacant
Forum rules
All sellers are required to have a forum profile that identifies them clearly. (Such as - name, surname, location, business name et cetera)
mitchellfearnley
Organisation: silvercord
Interests: frameing

Wanted experienced framer or engineer Cornwall Devon

Post by mitchellfearnley »

Hi forum

Wanted experienced framer or engineer Cornwall Devon to help with workshop set up

i have recently acquired all second hand

morso f
keencut Excalibur
cassiese pneumatic underpinner
compressor

I am located near Plymouth Torpoint area and just started to learn framing
first job to cut a square frame.
snagged straight away. I am having problems with getting a good miter(my joints are a fraction out)
my research inspection of the manual and other advice have shown up to approximately 7 or 8 different adjustments for this in the setting up of the guillotine.
I have not started the other machines yet although the keencut is now assembled and mounted hopefully correctly but needs squaring.
as i am a total novice and have a few questions I wondered if i could find experienced framer or engineer to help me set up and include some practical instruction to get get me going forward for a remuneration
any approaches leads or suggestions welcome

Please private message call text or reply to post
to Mitchell Fearnley
mobile 07791247207
hope the forum can point me in the right direction

Thank you
prospero

Re: Wanted experienced framer or engineer Cornwall Devon

Post by prospero »

First thing to look at is the Morso. There is a thing they don't mention in the manual - the left fence tweak. If you are getting gaps on either the inside or outside of the joint - usually the inside - you need to adjust the left fence.

Make sure the right fence is perfectly in line with the measuring scale. Then forget it.

Get a scrap piece of moulding, as wide possible, or a simple flat piece of timber. Cut four pieces the same length. Try arranging them on a flat surface and see if there are any gaps. The likely thing is that 3 joints will be tight and the last one will have a gap. Actually all four angles will be off by the same amount, but all the errors accumulate on the last joint. The wider the moulding the bigger the gap because of the divergence.
If the gap is on the inside of the joint you need to slacken the locking bolt on the left fence and rotate it anti-clockwise (the end toward you) a small amount. When I say small, I mean a gnats eyebrow. Lock the fence and try recutting the four pieces a bit smaller. Dry fit them together again and see if the gap has gone, or at least decreased. It's a question of trail and error. If you start to get a gap on the outside, you have overcooked the tweak.
Setting the angles at dead 45deg would seem the logical way but wood is funny stuff and isn't logical. You may find the angles go off as blades get dull or with certain types of wood. So you need to watch the angles as you go along.

That's the general principle. it's a simple, if fiddly thing to do but take your time and you should achieve a perfect joint. The isn't a lot more on a Morso that needs adjustment unless it's had a lot of abuse.

btw. There is an inscribed line on the fence that registers with a similar line on the machine bed. Look very closely and you can gauge just how far the fence is displaced. Usually keeping the lines touching, if not aligned is enough adjustment. If you need to go further then it's probably time to get a blades resharpened.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About