Cutting through foam board/mountboard

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Mary Lever

Cutting through foam board/mountboard

Post by Mary Lever »

Hi
I need to trim half a centimetre off the top and a mere quarter of a centimetre off the sides of a foam board backed window mount which doesn't come apart. It measures just under .75mm. I've been told I should be able to do it with a Stanley knife with a fresh blade but am very nervous of trying it. I think my Ultimate Gold mount cutter would not make a clean cut either. Any suggestions? Many thanks.
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Re: Cutting through foam board/mountboard

Post by David McCormack »

Hi Mary,

Could you not get some scrap foamboard and mountboard of the same thickness and glue them together and then try cutting that on your ultimat gold or with knife & ruler?

If that works out then you can cut your window mount with confidence?

Try cutting in several passes and a little deeper each time rather than one single cut :D
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
Mary Lever

Post by Mary Lever »

Thanks for that advice David . I've just taken a really close look and realise that it is in fact just very thick mountboard and not foam board - almost .75mm thick of mountboard - that's going to be even tougher to trim isn't it?
easypopsgcf
Organisation: home
Interests: cars

Post by easypopsgcf »

Why nervous? Is it going in a frame? Do you have a decent L/T square? Straight edge? Do you have a decent desk/workbench to cut it on?
As already said, sharp Stanley blade, lightly at first to create a score, somewhere for the blade to run, then progressively harder. The mountborad is the only real work though as foamboard is a doddle to cut(with a sharp blade) :D

Edit: just spotted your response, no change just a few more passes with the knife.....sometimes you just have to do it
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Post by David McCormack »

Mary Lever wrote:...almost .75mm thick of mountboard...
Just checking.... are you saying .75mm ie less than 1mm or do you mean 7.5mm? :?

7.5mm is rather thick so yes, new blade and several passes and should be OK even if removing a very small amount.
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
prospero

Post by prospero »

The trick is not to try and slice the whole thickness at once. Do a light score just to establish the blade track and then successive cuts with a bit more pressure.

A good non-slip straightedge helps.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Mary Lever

Post by Mary Lever »

Thank you so much everyone for your advice. Yes, it was 0.75mm and, as you suggested, I used my Stanley knife and scored it, followed by successive cuts rather than trying to cut it all at once and it did make a clean cut. For some reason, I feared it was going to be a ragged cut and bits of mountboard subsequently rub off and get onto the glass. Great relief to have it all done. Manay thanks.
Mary Lever

Post by Mary Lever »

Apologies......just read through my post yesterday and of course I meant 7.5mm not 0.75. Sorry .