Cassese underpinner - standard of underpinning

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
TinaB
Organisation: Tina Bailey Framing
Interests: Photography, theatre, dancing, reading.

Cassese underpinner - standard of underpinning

Post by TinaB »

Hello again all,

Please see the attached photo. Can I have your comments please on the location of these wedges? Would you say this is acceptable or not!?!

Many thanks,

Tina
Attachments
IMG_2619.JPG
IMG_2619.JPG (1.45 MiB) Viewed 5715 times
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Re: Cassese underpinner - standard of underpinning

Post by pramsay13 »

I'm not sure that how it looks will matter, especially as you will be covering most if not all of them with tape.
The question is whether the join is secure and will remain sound for as long as the frame is in use. I'm not convinced that a join with off-centre wedges will be as good as one with the wedges in the right position.
I'd be looking to get it sorted and get everything aligned. I don't use a Cassese so I can't help with what to check.
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Post by David McCormack »

It's not right, they should be in the center.... no reason for them not to be bang in the middle. Must be the right back fence that's out? :?
DSCF-1375.jpg
DSCF-1375.jpg (126.09 KiB) Viewed 5701 times
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
easypopsgcf
Organisation: home
Interests: cars

Post by easypopsgcf »

Which model of underpinner is it, there are quite a few cassese's available, i'm sure once you post the model, someone who has one/used one will help, also maybe a couple of pictures from above so we can see whats happening? :D
TinaB

Post by TinaB »

Hi guys,

Many thanks for this. I bought this Cassese CART new from one of the main framing suppliers. They continue to state that this is correct, i.e. that the wedges should insert off-centre of the joining line. Incredible! I may be relatively new to framing but I know what the desired result should be (and so do they)! Not happy to say the least that they are trying to state that this machine is working correctly. It's obvious that it's off-centre as you can see from the photo below.

It's nice to have some other opinions on the matter for moral support! :D

Take care and happy framing!!!

Tina
Attachments
IMG_2608.JPG
IMG_2608.JPG (1.12 MiB) Viewed 5666 times
TinaB

Post by TinaB »

And you can see it here too...

Thanks for giving me peace of mind!
Attachments
IMG_2606.JPG
IMG_2606.JPG (1.35 MiB) Viewed 5666 times
easypopsgcf

Post by easypopsgcf »

Mmmm, I'm not familiar with the CART model, but I'd say 100% that there is no way that's right. Did you get the manual with it? There is usually an exploded diagram, which should help you loosen the appropriate screws/bolts to centre the firing mechanism, possibly the 2 recessed allan bolts either side of it .
Mark Thornton
Organisation: Underpinner Spares
Interests: Red wine - lots and lots of it.

Post by Mark Thornton »

Hi Tina

No the underpinner is not right do not attempt any adjustments of your underpinner as this could affect your warranty, contact your supplier for them to rectify.

Mark
https://www.underpinner-spares.co.uk Framing equipment spare parts - Easy online ordering
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Post by David McCormack »

I have the older CS88, it looks like you have one of the newer models. Looking at this page from the user manual downloaded from their website, what they are calling the 'Wedge Distributor Block' is clearly centered and yours is clearly not!
CS20 CART.pdf
(609.29 KiB) Downloaded 167 times
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
prospero

Post by prospero »

TinaB wrote:Hi guys,

Many thanks for this. I bought this Cassese CART new from one of the main framing suppliers. They continue to state that this is correct, i.e. that the wedges should insert off-centre of the joining line. Incredible! I may be relatively new to framing but I know what the desired result should be (and so do they)! Not happy to say the least that they are trying to state that this machine is working correctly. It's obvious that it's off-centre as you can see from the photo below.

It's nice to have some other opinions on the matter for moral support! :D

Take care and happy framing!!!

Tina
If they are telling you that then they are talking twaddle. This is completely unacceptable on a new (and not inexpensive) machine. Tell them in no uncertain terms that you either want it fixed pronto or a replacement machine.

As Mark T says, don't fiddle around trying to fix it. They have sold you a lemon so up to them to make it right.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

TinaB wrote: I bought this Cassese CART new from one of the main framing suppliers. They continue to state that this is correct, i.e. that the wedges should insert off-centre of the joining line.
I wonder if you were speaking to the right person at your supplier, I think that you need to contact them again and make sure that you are talking to someone who knows what they are talking about. I own and use a CS-88 and I can tell you beyond any doubt that the alignment of the distributor block in your picture is definately not correct and that a main framing supplier should know this.

To tell you otherwise is obviously not correct! Particularly since such a degree of misalignment could be a very serious issue when joining very mouldings where there is often little margin for error in placing the wedges and not being able to place the wedge in the same position in both pieces being joined could make producing a satisfactory joint almost an impossibility, if there is little or no margin for compromise!

I think that this machine Is currently not fit for purpose and requires corrective action to resolve this issue!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
easypopsgcf

Post by easypopsgcf »

My bad for suggesting you should fix it yourself, its just that is what i would do, as i assume (wrongly sometimes) that i am as capale as anyone else to fix anything :lol:

Send the suppliers MD a link to this thread and tell him/her they are lucky you've not named and shamed them..........yet
TinaB

Post by TinaB »

Thanks so much for your help everyone. It is much appreciated!!!

I was as sure as I could be that it was wrong but when you get a professional person who has been in the framing business for many, many years (and is with a big framing company) telling you that it should pin off-centre you begin to question yourself (when new to the business).

Sadly this has not been the only problem though. Add clearly reground rusty blades being presented to me under the guise of new blades (for the Morso), confirmation phonecalls not received as promised, failure to respond to most of my emails, cancellation of visits on the morning they were due (or one person not turning up meaning work halted), and visits to my home where little was accomplished, I have given up in despair. The lying has been the hardest to deal with though. Very disappointing!

I find myself in the situation of still being without an underpinner that works correctly, and an Excalibur 5000 still in its box awaiting installation, 1 month (less 2 days) after they were delivered to me. VERY frustrating when I just want to get started!

Needless to say I have returned the Cassese, the Excalibur is pending collection, and I want as little as possible to do with this company in the future. It has been one long stressful and frustrating exercise. I just don't understand how companies remain in business when they act this way.

Thanks again for all your help and support everyone. Onwards and upwards!!! :D

Happy framing,

Tina
iamzero
Organisation: From home
Interests: Art and music.

Post by iamzero »

I'm amazed with your ability to not name and shame the company that told you that those wedges should be off centre? That just not acceptable.
TinaB

Post by TinaB »

Many thanks to Phil at Ashworth & Thompson for all your invaluable help today! I was very impressed with your standard of service. Thanks also for spending so much time discussing mouldings with me!

I am pleased to report that I am the happy owner of a shiny new Cassese courtesy of Phil, and I am over the moon to say it works like a dream :D

I can finally start framing!!!! No more of this... :head: and more of this... :clap:

Break out the Bolly...

Take care all.

Tina
prospero

Post by prospero »

Pleased to hear you are sorted Tina. :D

It probably won't be the last problem you'll have, but rest assured that whatever sprags you get someone here will have had the same one at some time and know how to fix it. :Slap:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
TinaB

Post by TinaB »

You're so right, I thought as soon as I pressed 'submit' that I should have reworded it 'fewer problems' rather than 'no problems'. That's life as they say :D

I am so grateful for this forum. It's nice to know so many people in the trade are willing to provide help to us newbies!

Best wishes to all,

Tina