Attaching coins to mount board

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Framegirl
Organisation: Bledlow Ridge
Interests: Framing

Attaching coins to mount board

Post by Framegirl »

Hi

I am doing a montage of football memorabilia and one of the items is a 50p coin. I plan to do a square aperture for it as I can't do the 50p shape! How should I attach the coin to the mount board? Can anyone help please?

Thanks

Framegirl
Just Paintings
Organisation: Just Paintings
Interests: Sailing

Re: Attaching coins to mount board

Post by Just Paintings »

If you use a scapel, you should be able to use the coin as a template to accurately cut an opening in the mountcard. Then it should just be held in with a good quality acrylic non drying tape from the reverse.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

No need for an aperture of any shape - float mount it - no need for any adhesive either - see my post in this thread.

http://theframersforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 83&p=91500&
Framegirl

Post by Framegirl »

I really like the melinex idea and have gone away and started to do this straight away. All is fine until I get to putting the melinex 'legs' through the mount board. I am not sure whether it is because it is a 50 p piece, but when I try to tighten the legs and position the 50p correctly it doesn't pull the melinex over the face of the coin flat. Do you have any tips on how to avoid this with the 50p please? Where should the holes in the board be positioned etc.

Thanks

Framegirl
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

It helps if the legs are directly opposite each other, i.e. they would form a straight line if joined and pull against each other, just make sure they don't go over a corner and if the melinex is from a roll it will still have a slight curve, make sure the convex side is against the object.
Framegirl

Post by Framegirl »

Thanks - I have somehow managed it - maybe I just need to practice more. I really like this though - very impressed.

Thank you :)
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

A pleasure! Melinex is extremely versatile - I didn't mention on the other thread exactly how to fix the legs on the back.

Make them long enough to fold back over themselves - fix them to a strip of double-sided tape (preferably not ATG tape) lay another strip of DS tape over that and then fold the excess of the leg back on to that ..... and then tape over all that with something like ph7-70 tape. Extremely strong, assuming the melinex straps were wide/strong enough, if you yanked the object out you'd pull all that straight through the mount board.