Framing a single sheet of glass

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Mary Lever

Framing a single sheet of glass

Post by Mary Lever »

Hi
A customer has brought me a piece of glass with a picture etched onto it and would like it framed. Does there exist any piece of hardware that enables such an item to be framed in which you don't see the points behind holding it in. I originally thought of using spacer and points but that can be seen from the front. As there seems to be a growing market for photos inset into glass I'm sure there must be some way of framing them in which whatever holds the glass in is not seen from the front . Any ideas would be gratefully received. Thanks.
Roboframer

Re: Framing a single sheet of glass

Post by Roboframer »

How about a spacer screwed to the rebate, covered with mount board?
prospero

Post by prospero »

I wouldn't have points bearing on the glass, visible or not. You have to be very careful with this type of thing. The glass is in fact the artwork. Some sort of cushioning is desirable to isolate it from external shocks.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

A flat slip moulding in front of the glass and a flat spacer moulding behind the glass might be the best solution in the instance.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

You could treat it the same as if it were on board or paper, why not? Do you have to see through it or might it look better with a background? If so you could sink mount it and that could be done single-sided or double-sided using glass both sides or glass on the front and acrylic on the back .... or single-sided OR double-sided with AR glass! You'd not lose any more of the glass than a frame would cover, far less if you wanted.

It would have a 'background" even if it were see-through, the wall behind it, so why not choose a colour for the background that might set it off better.