Oil painting on a board

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Ray
Organisation: raygreenphotography.co.uk
Interests: photography, fell running, squash

Oil painting on a board

Post by Ray »

Framing an oil painting which is fixed to a board which has a little weight to it. 600x500mm. I don't think hinge hanging it will be strong enough. Would it be recommended to tape it in place the whole way around the rear of the mountboard? The tape would not be in danger of damaging the painting.
easypopsgcf
Organisation: home
Interests: cars

Re: Oil painting on a board

Post by easypopsgcf »

Tape it at a few points with a suitable tape PH7-70 or similar , then build up the deficit with mountboard or foamcore , depending on depth of said board, if done correctly you could make a "rebate from these bits of packing boards which would negate the need for any tapes
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

If I was to frame it with a mount I would cut the mount as normal then cut an under mount the same size of the oil board. This will hold the painting in place. Depending on how thick your painting is you will probably have to build up the thickness of the dub mount do that he board is flush to the mount. Now cut a back mount and attach the spacers and under mount to the back with glue. Then hinge the top mount to this and e voilà you have a mount and hinged to a package to hold the picture. Nothing attached to the painting.
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

I would probably glue foam board strips to the back of the mount to pack it out, basically the same as everyone else has said in slightly different ways, it's a sink mount.
Framemaker Richard
Organisation: framemaker
Interests: Antique frames

Post by Framemaker Richard »

As already suggested, depending how thick the board is, I would hold in place with strips of mountboard or foamboard to the undermount. The strips fixed in place with double sided tape and Lineco adhesive. Then the mount is book hinged on top.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Well I wouldn't use a card mount at all. It's an oil. :P A liner, wide or narrow with the glass on top will do the same job visually. And give more glass clearance.

But no drastic reason not to use a card mount, so please refer to previous answers. :yes:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

I agree with you thats why I said

" If I was to frame it with a mount"

:giggle: :giggle:
prospero

Post by prospero »

Graysalchemy wrote:I agree with you thats why I said

" If I was to frame it with a mount"

:giggle: :giggle:
I agree as well as also that's why I said "refer to previous answers". :arrow: :wink:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

I also agree, but you are both wrong, I am also intoxicated :D
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

easypopsgcf wrote: depending on depth of said board, if done correctly you could make a "rebate" from these bits of packing boards which would negate the need for any tapes
This ^^^^ :yes:

It's a sink mount you want and that could be made by cutting a 90 degree aperture with a tiny bit of play from suitable thickness board(s) or from strips of the same, which will utilise scraps, which is good.

It doesn't matter if that sink mount is fixed to the under mount or to the window mount because if you bond the two together (as opposed to 'book hinging, which can be problematic when there's two vastly different thickness boards) there is no need for any adhesive to be in contact with the artwork - whether that's a problem or not - and because of that fact it doesn't really matter what type of adhesive you use.
Ray

Post by Ray »

Please don't argue over me. I agree with you all. Great suggestions as always and I think I have the idea now!! :clap:
Ray

Post by Ray »

Thanks for your advice. Thought I would post up the finished result. Foam core was the perfect thickness which I fixed to the back board and went with a hinge mount.
Ballet in White-11.jpg
Ballet in White-11.jpg (171.78 KiB) Viewed 3492 times
Ballet in White-1.jpg
Ballet in White-1.jpg (198.38 KiB) Viewed 3492 times