Thinking outside my box (and depth!)

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
milkshakemanmartin
Organisation: JIGSAWSRUS.COM
Interests: Having fun!

Thinking outside my box (and depth!)

Post by milkshakemanmartin »

Hi all,

Thanks for allowing me to join and post.

Firstly I am *not* a framer so please excuse my [potential] stupidity and hopefully you won't consider my questions too crazy! However I do have a keen interest in cutting cardboard and saw a CMC in action at a framers last week and didn't think to ask then as I'd not thought about it at the time......anyway I have 2 simple(ish) questions to start (and maybe end) with;

What is the thickest card that a CMC can cut? Can it cut 2mm and even 3mm? I am guessing they can but as I don't know how thick standard mount card is I cannot be sure?

How complex can the cuts be? i.e. can they cut small complex shapes - I guess like a jigsaw puzzle piece?

I will appreciate ANY and all replies,

Martin
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Re: Thinking outside my box (and depth!)

Post by GeoSpectrum »

Not good for jigsaws. But can cut upto 3mm
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Can't really see any reason why jigsaws can't be cut, if you are using straight cutting and not bevel cuts, OK for doing just one offs, but if you are thing of doing production numbers, well then the tried and tested method of a die stamp is the best way to go, a lot quicker to do, so the price would be low, so if you are thing of getting a CMC for doing this type of work, you will have to aim the price quite high to make it cost effective
We cut some very complicated designs, some take around ten minutes or more to cut, and we charge a good price (to us) for doing these, but our customers are happy with it because they can't get it done else where :clap:
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Usually curved complex shapes with obtuse angles cause a lot of overcus. Don't the K mine would cut out z decent jigsaw.

It will cut 38mm though
markw

Post by markw »

There is a jigsaw company near me - they use a laser to cut 2-3mm mdf. I doubt you would get a great cut from a cmc - for complex cuts with small radius curves and acute angles you just wouldn't get a usable cut with a 90 degree blade. You would also have problems registering where the cmc was going to cut - unless you have a cmc that can see where the media is (Valiani fitted with camera and software).
milkshakemanmartin
Organisation: JIGSAWSRUS.COM
Interests: Having fun!

Post by milkshakemanmartin »

Thanks for the honest and informational replies - its much appreciated :-)