Spraying Gesso?

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Here is the picture as requested. It's a plain Tulipwood moulding with a couple of light coats of 50/50 Wickes ripple coat and Craig & Rose regency white, followed with a coat of Black Bison neutral wax. The paint was added after the frame was made and did not need any rubbing down, because it was put on in two thin coats. The seamless corners are one of the advantages of hand finishing.

It's not very exciting, but just a quick and easy job. The naff mount cutting was nothing to do with me, but came with the print, which is still in it's clear film wrapper.

For those who haven't seen one before the framing price chart behind is how pricing used to be done before the appearance of Estlite, etc. One day when I've bought a few other things on the wants list, I will buy Estlite too!

Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Sorry, I almost forgot. My thanks to Prospero for hosting the image for me.
noob

Post by noob »

I routinely use a spraybooth for white frames, I've never used real gesso.

I use cellulose based paints, i'm pretty sure they're made to be sprayed, work perfectly with a £20 screwfix spraygun, no mixing etc required

Two separate paints, undercoat and eggshell topcoat which gives a pretty tough and wipeable finish. Each come in 25l tins which last several months at least. I don't have the supplier's catalogue at hand so can't say how much they cost, but they're definitely well worth it, they last for ages and make it easy to produce large numbers of frames quickly and consistently

I only use white (the supplier does black as well), i've never tried adding colours to the mix but i think it would take it

By the way i'm new here, hello all
Moglet
Organisation: An Urban Myth
Interests: I'll let you know if I get my life back.

Post by Moglet »

Welcome to The Forum, Noob! :D
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Image .Briseann an dúchas trí shuiligh an chuit.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Hi and Welcome Noob. :D

I used to spray the old 1/2" cheapo black cushion with metallic auto touchup cans. Worked really well. I think because the finish on the moulding had a plasticy feel, the thinners in the paint sort of welded the paint into the finish. Saved stocking a multitude of different colours. :wink:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About