conservation

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
mikeysaling
Organisation: sarah jane framing
Interests: astronomy medals photography

Re: conservation

Post by mikeysaling »

not at all - i just think it really will not go anywhere constructively - i just feel 'conservation/preservation' gets pushed too much - maybe just on the forum between framers or maybe wider - i just feel somewhat sceptical about whether its really about 'giving the customer the choice' . i have been and still am (in some ways) a customer and that word conservation does get pushed particularly by suppliers. I just feel this could run and run forever with no real outcome besides being an interesting and informatve thread.
when all is said and done - there is more said than done.
AllFramed
Organisation: AllFramed
Interests: Framing, Photography, The Clarets, Chateau Musar

Re: conservation

Post by AllFramed »

JohnMcafee wrote: On the other hand we have had countless thousands whose first and only question is “How much?” .
I was one of those countless thousands. This is an interesting discussion, but to a large extent from the customer perspective, they don't know what they don't know.

About 8 years ago, my daughter painted me a water colour of a sunflower. It was lovely so I took it to our local framer and asked "How much?" There was no discussion of UV glass or conservation mountboard, just choice of colours for mount and moulding. I had no idea there was such stuff and they didn't offer it. I was astounded by the price but still paid it. The picture hangs in my kitchen and looks as good as the day it was painted.

My wife had a caricature drawn of me and my son and daughter for a present. Not knowing about the effects of UV lighting I bought an A4 frame from Woolworth or somewhere and put it directly onto the glass and up on the wall. Rather than being black on white the ink has now faded to a yellowy colour due to the effects of UV. Knowing what I do now, I recently framed another from the same artist and put it behind UV filtering glass. (Fortunately due to the wonder of digital photo software I have been able to scan and recover a copy of the original).

We have two picture cards in our bathroom against the glass in simple flexi pointed mdf backed ready made frames, again put there before understanding the effects of direct contact with glass, condensation, uv etc. They are still as good as new but I wouldn't put a picture in the bathroom now without mounting and sealing it etc etc.

I'm not sure if they are interesting tales or not, but demonstrate that through my ignorance I have both got away with it and lost a valued original. Before I became interested in the subject and started framing seriously, I hadn't a clue what the options were. If I am honest, I am still a little daunted by the options available in terms of the technicalities and the vast quantity of marketing from the various suppliers (though have to say had excellent glass service from G&M last week).

I would agree with those who would offer advice and options to their customers by engaging in an honest dialogue. But sometimes too much choice can be baffling and I will always have sympathy with the "ignorant" customer who simply says "How much?"
There's more to the picture, than meets the eye. Hey hey, my my.