Framing 1785 embroidery sampler

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Framing 1785 embroidery sampler

Post by Not your average framer »

I'm framing a 1785 embroidery sampler. It's not square at the bottom and it can stay like that. Unfortunately, not due to needing stretching, but it was made like it! It also has no border, but is embroidered right to the edge.

My options are somewhat limited, as my customer has bought an antique frame from the auctions, which only allows me 1/2" to 3/4" all round for an alpha-rag double mount and I have already decided to line the sides of the frame rebate with barrier paper because of the proximity of the frame to the embroidery.

I regularly lace and frame embroidery in accordance with normal good practice, but with something like this, any sage advice would be most welcome.
Thanks,
Mark
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

If it is in quite good nick then full support sewing and float mount it - don't mount over it as normal as there is no spare fabric, show the edges as they are part of the work.

If it's not in good nick then it could be encapsulated - much info on TFG about that.

Econospace will also act as a barrier from the frame.

Another option - support sew it onto a square of linen 3 inches or so larger all round and then lace that. Then you can mount it as normal, but with such a skinny mount it would look better sewn onto a backing. Also with this method, if the colour of the linen suits, then you can show it. Sort of laced and spaced!

Good luck
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Thanks John,

I had thought about that, but the embroidery which is a cross stitch has either dis-coloured with age or may have originally not started out as white/cream. The dis-colouration is very even and uniform theoughout. Whichever is the case, I wanted to avoid mounting it with anything which looks too pristine, as both I and the customer want it to look like everything started out life together.

Any ideas of something suitable to sew it onto?

The mountboard colour I was going to use is alpha-rag 'earth'. I can just manage to mount it without obscuring any embroidery and the customer is happy about this. It is in fact a very small pillow case or cushion cover and is not square at the bottom because there was not much left to make a hem, the bottom corners don't extend quite so far down as in the middle.

It is embroidered with the name and date of whoever it was for, or done by and amazingly this had still been in the original family until recently, when I suppose someone from the current generation decided to put it into auction, because they'd rather have the cash. (I always feel it's rather sad when that happens).
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Not your average framer wrote:I wanted to avoid mounting it with anything which looks too pristine, as both I and the customer want it to look like everything started out life together.

Any ideas of something suitable to sew it onto?
Well a good needlecraft shop (ahem) will stock linen and all sorts of fabric in all sorts of colours. So you could still back it with a piece and lace it, showing the linen (etc) you have sewn it to.

Or you could cover a mount with fabric and support sew it to it, or just choose a mount colour to suit, and sew it to it. But support sew & show edges (float mount) is what I'd do. A half - three quarter inch double mount will look cramped and frugal.

If you cover something with fabric, why not use alpharag foamboard - easier to poke a needle through.
Not your average framer

Thanks John,

I think your idea is better, if I can find some fabric which looks in keeping with it's age. I'll have to see what I can find.
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

Roboframer wrote:
I would suggest this method, as it is the favorite method of my textile conservator I work with. Samplers are her specialty.

The best fabric is muslin (cotton). The natural (unbleached) color would be best. It should be washed and then rinsed several times in fresh water. Stitch the fabric into a pillow case (cover) over 8 ply rag board (or two 4 ply) for support. Sew the sampler with the thinnest thread possible onto the fabric. The sampler is not very sturdy and you want a weak thread. Sew with a blunt embrodery needle.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
Not your average framer

Thanks for the advice Jerry,

That's what I'll do.
Juliet Rees

Post by Juliet Rees »

I was advised by a fabric conservator not to lace needlework of this sort of age. I was advised to sew it onto ragmat. Just be careful with the thread that you use.