Alternative for expensive moulding

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Alternative for expensive moulding

Post by StevenG »

Hi, someone wants to use the Arqadia moulding 672953500 (The Original Collection - Cadiz), nice moulding but it's a large frame and as such the moulding alone is going to cost over me £100!!!. Does anyone know if there's an alternative? It doesn't have to be exactly the same, if the size/colour etc matches I'm sure it'll be fine. Polcore etc would also suit if possible.

Cheers :)
Attachments
IMAG0610.jpg
IMAG0610.jpg (882.08 KiB) Viewed 2077 times
IMAG0609.jpg
IMAG0609.jpg (944.94 KiB) Viewed 2077 times
IMAG0608.jpg
IMAG0608.jpg (1.08 MiB) Viewed 2077 times
stcstc

Re: Alternative for expensive moulding

Post by stcstc »

if thats what ya customer wants, then price it for them

if they are not prepared to pay then offer them something difference
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

I have a question. Is the customer balking at the price of the job at your cost at your acceptable markup?..... or are you afraid of that price range?

If the customer has no objections, then close the deal, get a deposit and start the project.

A lot of American framers will not bat an eye to showing and selling moulding with a retail price of $40 to $80 a running foot.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
Keith Hewitt
Organisation: www.keithhewitt.co.uk
Interests: Badminton, golf, gym, and exploring new places.

Post by Keith Hewitt »

That mdg looks stunning - its the dogs bo**ocks :D
Go for it.
Reminds me of an old lady who came into a frame shop in Macclesfield many years ago to pick up 2 pics.
The owner said " That will be £80 " so she wrote a cheque for £160 ! :Slap:
The owners wife observed " Think we are too cheap"
Most of Joe Public has little idea about pricing IMHO
Keith Hewitt
I have visited distributors and framers in 90 countries - no two are the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XtrrWooYdg
prospero

Post by prospero »

I find that if you show someone a pricey moulding and then show them a cheaper alternative, most of the time they go back to the first one.

Someone came in one day and homed in a painting I had on the wall. (It wasn't for sale as it happened. I just hung it there after framing it to see how it looked). They asked the price. I explained it wasn't for sale, but that it would be around the £8K mark. They asked what made it sooooooo expensive. I replied something like "why did you walk past all the other paintings and ask about this particular one?"

:clap:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

Hi guys, thanks for the replies and they've helped actually. Firstly you're right, if someone wants it and they don't want to pay then they don't get it :Slap: , obvious as it sounds it's something I find hard to enforce - I'm constantly trying to please people but maybe I should just say 'listen if that's what you really want then this is the price, if you don't want to pay then choose something else" (or words to that effect). I've been trying to sort this person for a while but maybe I should just maybe be a bit tougher!

My markup isn't that much to be honest - I'll get a few ££ for the labour but I like the person and I'm just trying to be fair, and yes - the moulding is pretty neat :)

Prospero - I like your little anecdote and in fact I'm gonna steal it and use it at the next suitable opening :wink:

Thanks again
Steven