email bankruptcy

For topics that fall into the 'None Of The Above' category
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

email bankruptcy

Post by kev@frames »

Overwhelmed by emails, many managers and businesses, with overflowing in-boxes, regularly ditch the lot, unread, to rid themselves of the backlog, and start afresh. Some even give up on email and have started using the phone again. (said a recent newspaper report)

Im guilty of this on a regular basis. I wonder sometimes how much business im throwing away :-(

Do you do this?
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

I review all email using MailWasher, which allows me to see the headers and the first couple of lines of the message.

I can bounce the spam, (probably serves no purpose, but feels good), and delete off the server any other message that I do not need to keep or respond to, before firing up Outlook and downloading the remaining valid emails.

This does not take too much time, it is easy to tell most of the junk at a glance.
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

yeah i use mailwasher, its very good. 1.3 (if you can find and download it) is fully featured with multiple accounts etc and still freeware. ;)

and gmail filters out most of the spam very efficiently.

Its hard work dealing with whats left!

Its actually the volume of email enquiries which overwhelms us, and the time it takes to reply.

if I pick the 28 "tagged" ones, at five minutes each, thats still a chunk out of the day. The rest I can probably ignore without losing too much sleep, or too many customers.

TBH ive got some in there a fortnight old....
Bill Henry
Organisation: Not so much - it's kind of messy.
Interests: Dry mounting dog hair, counting age spots on old people, playing chess with wood elves, scheming to take over the world.

Post by Bill Henry »

On my web host, there is a spam filter, MX Logic, which sits on the server and intercepts my junk. It appears to be over 95% effective, I am guessing. Only one or two bogus e-mails / month ever gets through to me. The advantage to me is that this spam never reaches my desktop - it stays on the server.

My personal e-mail account through “earthlink” is getting worse, however. Despite over 70 filters, stuff is getting through at an increasing rate. The problem as I see it is that spammers are now embedding their text into JPEG images which are impervious to word and phrase filters.
Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent! – Porky Pine