Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
prospero

Hi all

Post by prospero »

What a great forum. :D

I happened across it by accident while searching for something. :shock:

I have been in the framing biz since early 80's. About ten years ago I started exp with hand finishing moulding and nowadays I rarely use factory-finished stuff. I know hand finishing is not everyones thing but most of my trade in framing is from artists who just can't get what they want. OK the frames are much more labour-intensive, but for me the advantages are many. No wasteage though cutting around flaws and knocks. A moulding has to be very seriously damged to make it unusable.
People are generally preapred to pay for 'designer' goods. Also as artists tend to drag their stuff around exhibitions and knock chunks out of frames. it is great boon to be able to repair them perfectly. Most factory finishes are near impossble to restore. But what is really satisfying is going into the shed and pulling out a grotty old frame that has been in there for years and converting it into something completely different. I very rarely throw anything wooden away. I am even working my way though moulding I have had for years by refinishing it.

So if anyone is into this, I am more than happy to swap tips. :)
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Welcome Prospero!

So - what sort of finishes do you do - Gilding and ornate stuff, staining and waxing or some of everything?

Just basic stains and waxes here I'm afraid - but agree - bags of profit in habd finishing - all you need do to prove that is look at a plain wood moulding that also comes finished and compare prices.

Got piccies?

Wish you were closer - you could have a few thousand feet of my old stock!
prospero

Post by prospero »

Well most of my framing is fairly traditional. Most frames I do have some gilding, although I don't tend to use leaf, mainly gold powders in medium.
One drawback with HF is getting a good range of unfin profiles. Rose & Hollis deserve a plug here. There used to be a manufacturer a few years back (Romford?) who did an amazing range of 'pasta' type mouldings at really good prices. But their prices must have been a bit too good as they
went down the swanee just after I got most of the range. :(

I even buy finished stuff and strip it (if price is right). HF really comes into it's own when you have to make large frames for oils. Try buying 5"+ wide moulding. :roll: But if you build up several profiles you can make enormous frames with minimal waste and all four sides match. I always make the frame before finishing, so nicely blended corners.

I'll try and find some pics...... :D