Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Johnny9
Organisation: Pembrokeshire
Interests: Ha Ha Ha

Newbie wanting some advice please.. :)

Post by Johnny9 »

First of all a BIG HELLO to everyone here, I hope I can learn many things from you all & have fun on here too.......

Let me introduce myself, I'm Johnny from Sunny Oldham, I'm an Electrical Eng, but really fancy turning my garage into a worshop, and make Mirrors, Picture Frames & then onto bookcases etc....

First of all let me tell you my plan, I want to start making asap. first as a sideline, but then eventually as a main income, I want to move away from Oldham to South Wales & start a new less stressful life by the coast, so I want to set up now & do it for a year or so, to get some experiance before taking the plunge, I'm a big beliver in, "You Can Always Make Things Work, It's Just Down Yourself How Well It Works!!!"

So this is hopefully where some of you will help me, I need to know what machinery I will need to make Mirrors & Picture Frames, I have a rip saw, scroll saw, mitre saw, morticer, bench planer, thicknesser, bench sander and hand tools.
But have seen so many people talking about a Morso Guillotine & an Under pinner, do I need these?
Also need help with info on mounting, backing etc...

Also I would Really Love to tap into your knowledge, any help would be greatly appreciated...

I hope I can learn many things from you all & have fun too!

Hope to hear from you soon Johnny :P
prospero

Post by prospero »

:) Are you talking about making picture frames or framing pictures? There is an almightly difference. Seriously though, to provde an across-the-board framing service from scratch is a tall order. Most people seem to think it's just a matter of making a frame the right size and putting the picture in. Lot more to it than that. If you want to make simple stuff - mirrors, ready made photo frames, etc you are competing against the big manufacturers. To do top-end bespoke stuff, you need some years experience. But you seem to have some nice kit already, in fact just the sort of stuff thats ideal for making individual hand-finished frames. All you need is some wood and a bit of imagination. There seems to be a trend nowadays for 'distressed' wood frames. Great fun to make as you can attack them with sharp objects and wire brushes etc. Rough sawn timber is very good for this. When painted and waxed it looks great. You can make truly individual frames that you can command good prices for and don't need to fork out for a vast range of pre-finished moulding. You have all the tools. Just need some paint and brushes and afew odds'n'sods. I have made frames from other old frames, bits of wood that has been lying about in the garden, old pallets. As long as its not completely rotten... My fence blew down in the last gales and a have that on the list for recycling.

Morso is a great tool but I think the basic model +spare blades is going to set you back near £2000. Even sec hand ones fetch good prices. If you intend doing a lot of frames, OK it may be worth it. But think of it this way:
I would sooner spend a day making one frame and make £50 out of it than make 50 and make £1 on each. Same thing with underpinners. Nails are just as good (except maybe on very narrow frames), thay are just quicker. I reckon to get a basic setup to provide a good picture framing service would make a big hole in 10 grand. My advice is: Don't jump in with both feet. Try and find your own niche in the market.

Just my four-pennyworth. Feel free to take no notice. :roll:
Johnny9

Post by Johnny9 »

Hi Prospero,

Thanks for the help & advice, I reall fancy making unusual Mirror & frames from reclaimed timber, something a bit different, hopefully that well sell well & make a few quid, but also want to make things that will be popular for a wide market, maybe, just don't want to put all my eggs in one basket. I have a good knowledge of basic joinery & DIY, but just wanted some good basic tips on framing, maybe find out where I can see a framer in action or maybe a class???

Like I said I want to make a living out of this, so I'm Very Keen to learn...
prospero

Post by prospero »

If you get in touch with Lion Picture Framing Supplies....

http://www.lionpic.co.uk/

and ask them nicely for a catalogue, you will not only find virtually every framing gizmo you are ever likely to need, but they also do some very good books. Most are U.S. origin. There is one of the collected 'Picture Business' articles by Pete Bingham which should be worth a look. 8)

btw. before you put your eggs in another basket, make sure the other basket doesn't have holes in it. :wink:
Johnny9

Post by Johnny9 »

Prospero,

That's Fantastic!!!!!!

Thanks Very Much!!!! :D
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

Hi :D Johnny,
welcome to the asylum ;)
Johnny9

Post by Johnny9 »

Hi Kev,

Thanks, good to be here, I've had some excellent tips so far,
some of the guys have been very helpful, which is just what I need!!!! ;)
Just want to tap into a bit of everyone's vast knowledge and get started!!