Happy Birthday Lion!

For topics that fall into the 'None Of The Above' category
Grahame Case

Happy Birthday Lion!

Post by Grahame Case »

I'd just like to pass on our birthday wishes and many happy returns to everyone at Lion Picture Framing Supplies..

Unfortunately with all the pandimonium over the terrorist attacks i haven't been able to book a flight down to join you all on behalf of our staff.

the card is in the post :-)
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Does this mean more smarties?
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

Never mind smarties, there was champagne all round as Martin addressed some of the many framers who attended this very popular event. (entirely funded by Lion)

Martin and his staff have shown the way. He is keen to show that our industry can advance and become much more profitable by adopting the latest techniques and technology.

Perhaps this is a one-of event, but the idea should continue in some form, wouldn't The Spring Fair attract many more to the framing hall if training seminars were a part of it? After all I know that they are hugely popular at the trade fairs in The States, Martin has shown that they would be equally popular here.
birdman
Organisation: Pelican Picture Framing
Interests: Getting up close and personal with Val

Post by birdman »

A very valid point made about the Spring Fair and I believe it would be popular. Many of the Exhibitions/Trade Fairs I have attended have learning events and seminars. They are always fully booked and well attended. Perhaps Lion might consider doing a Spring Fair version.
Rolf Lawson GCF
“I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order.” Eric Morecambe
My status
osgood

Post by osgood »

I'm very surprised that you don't have workshops and seminars at your trade show. Every trade show I have attended since 1985 down here in Oz there have been workshops and seminars.

Perhaps you guys might want to come down later this month ans check us out. Details of the seminars available are at: http://www.theframingshow.com.au/content/view/12/27/
birdman

Post by birdman »

Hi Ormond,

You certainly have a very interesting Seminar programme and tempting though it is I can't afford the bus fare ...... this year! Can anyone say why there is not a similar event in the UK or Ireland for framers? Is it just lack of interest or is it because we are happy to continue with the Spring Fair format?

:?
Rolf Lawson GCF
“I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order.” Eric Morecambe
My status
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

John wrote: Perhaps this is a one-off event, but the idea should continue in some form, wouldn't The Spring Fair attract many more to the framing hall if training seminars were a part of it? After all I know that they are hugely popular at the trade fairs in The States, Martin has shown that they would be equally popular here.
Here is how they do it in the states

80 lectures/demos - all the Grumblers attending hire a few limos and go out for a Chinese. I'll be doing my damndest to be there next Jan.

Check this pdf for the schedule from within that link. (Edit - you may have to zoom out to see it all - I copied the link after I'd zoomed in - sorry :oops: )

But that show is sponsored by Picture FRAMING Magazine.

The Spring Fair is run by TPS (Trade Promotional Services - a PLC) and framing is just a fart in its thunderstorm - their art and framing magazine 'The picture business', has one main aim - to get you to the Spring & Autumn fairs - buying or selling.

One of my biggest gripes is that we don't have a trade organisation (worth mentioning - there is one obscure one, which seems to have teamed up with TPB - maybe it will grow and outdo the FATG - wouldn't be difficult!) OR a trade mag with the word 'Framing' in it.

Our best framing magazine is the Lion catalogue!

Well done Martin - a big step in the right direction.
Moglet
Organisation: An Urban Myth
Interests: I'll let you know if I get my life back.

Post by Moglet »

TPB???
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Image .Briseann an dúchas trí shuiligh an chuit.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Moglet wrote:TPB???
The
Picture
Business

Magazine

:roll:
birdman

Post by birdman »

TPB - Google is very helpful:

The Pirate Bay
Trailer Park Boys
Think Pad Buttons
Tile Promotion Board
Theoretical Population Biology ..... and there's more

Even the Tilers have a trade organisation (Promotion Board!!)
Rolf Lawson GCF
My status
Moglet

Post by Moglet »

C'mon Robo, I'm only a framing "grasshopper". :(

Very "helpful", Birdman!! :lol:
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

and our TPB is way down the food chain in its organisation.

TPS is indeed not a PLC but EMAP - which it is part of - is

So - a massive company organising alsorts of huge events, a smaller one within it, organising - or promoting some of them - then a magazine within that - promoting events - with a few token articles on framing.

"Yeah - bung in some stuff for those little guys - why not - all helps"

That's where we stand - it may not be exactly like that - but looking at some of the stuff I read in our trade mags and comparing it to PFM and TFG - probably not far off.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Moglet wrote:C'mon Robo, I'm only a framing "grasshopper". :(
Take the stone Moglet - take the stone!
Moglet

Post by Moglet »

@&*%!! Missed! :twisted:

It might be helpful for those of us not long in the trade if the venerable masters of the forum might recommend some good trade mags.
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

The Picture Framing Magazine

http://www.pictureframingmagazine.com/

Have a look at the Article Index

Happy reading
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

Another great place is www.thegrumble.com
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

Dermot

Post by Dermot »

For Preservation Framing and Standards FACTS is a goog guide...

http://www.artfacts.org/
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

FACTS and The Grumble showed me I was doing something as basic as attaching cord totally wrongly. I use Super softstrand wire now - attached as per FACTS

Search on FACTS for hanging.

Only problem you'll have is getting your customers to replace that one skinny nail that wobbles about in the wall, with 2 correctly positioned purpose made hangers.

I've had 'em back in complaining that 'THE NAIL' shows above the frame :evil:
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

So - anyway - who is going to GIVE these seminars in our country?

What big names spring to mind?

Who is/are the 'recognised expert(s)' on ....

Shadowboxes
Business Issues
Preservation
Needlework
Mat (mount) decoration/embellishments
Fabric wrapping (mats and mouldings)

etc etc

Apart from one all-rounder, in the UK, all I see recognised experts in is POS systems.

We have no 'experts' of our own that share here and I see little being shared in the trade mags either and what is shared fails to inspire me.

Yet I can put a few names to each and more of those headings from the USA and I think we should invite some of them over.