Happy Birthday Lion!

For topics that fall into the 'None Of The Above' category
realhotglass
Organisation: Tudor Glass - Kiln formed glass
Interests: Bushwalking, skiing, 4WDing, photography, PDR (Paintless Dent Removal)

Post by realhotglass »

Moglet wrote:It might be helpful for those of us not long in the trade if the venerable masters of the forum might recommend some good trade mags.
Firstly, indeed 30 years !
Very good show to the crew at Lion PFS, I also enjoy browsing your catalogue.

No reason why you couldn't subscribe to Profile magazine, Moglet (and others).
http://profilemagazine.com.au/subs.html
A great Aussie framing industry mag, always packed with useful articles, trend info, news, etc.

Very good value for AUD$80, 2 years / 8 issues (~ GBP34.00).

These folk also organise our annual framing show, links can be found to the upcoming July show on the menu above.
Regards,
Les

............Oooo
oooO.....(....)
(....)........)../
.\..(........(_/
..\_)

"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time."
Grahame Case

Post by Grahame Case »

names that spring to mind would be Vivian Kistler, Pete Bingham,

Mike Royall - for objects
Lyn Hall

to name but a few..
osgood

Post by osgood »

John Ranes III usually goes to your spring fair!
Moglet
Organisation: An Urban Myth
Interests: I'll let you know if I get my life back.

Post by Moglet »

Roboframer wrote:So - anyway - who is going to GIVE these seminars in our country? ... I see little being shared in the trade ... I think we should invite some of them over.
Just had a look at the Australian Framing Show seminars, and I would jump at the chance to attend a similar event closer to home. In addition to the topics suggested by Roboframer, I would also like to see seminars on Handfinishing, Frame Design, and Marketing & Promotion.

Second the motion for Mike Royall on object framing, Grahame! (I trained with him and learned so much.)

Thanks to all for the leads on information resources! Sincerely appreciated.
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Image .Briseann an dúchas trí shuiligh an chuit.
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

I'm sure TPS would be delighted to provide the floor space for training seminars at the Spring Fair, the problem is, who will organise them, and who will pay?

How is it financed elsewhere? Do the 'students' pay an entrance fee to cover the costs? Are they covered by sponsorship? Or does the event promoter donate the space for this activity knowing that without it there would be far fewer visitors?
osgood

Post by osgood »

John,

We pay $50 per seminar or a maximum of $130.
I really don't know any more about the financial side of things. Frank Fillipone from Profile Magazine is the organiser of our show.
Martin Harrold
Organisation: MD of Lion / Member of Executive of FATG
Interests: Developing the business, making our customers happy, skiing, racing my 2CV, enjoying two wonderful grandchildren, etc . . .

Post by Martin Harrold »

Ah, shucks, I've just seen this thread, and I'm all embarassed. But thanks for al the kind words and birthday wishes for Lion.

Seems like training at the Spring Fair could be well supported. Subtle negotiations are going on to mayne nake it happen. If we did something, just how many Forumers (terrible grammer) would go in '08 that have not been in the past two years ?
Martin Harrold
md LION PFS Ltd
m 07973 303982
Lemon_Drop

Post by Lemon_Drop »

Belated Happy Birthday to Lion, the organisation of the event does not suprise me at all, just follows the splendid was the company is run.

Just a comment or two on Roboframer's post about people to give seminars at trade shows etc.

The sad fact is that you wont get a world class expert in any of the various catagories of framing you mentioned either in England or in Ireland.
You are totally correct in saying that we have no experts.

You also know John as I do, that the Experts we need can be found in America, and it not that hard to find them.

In order for us to move forward, some of those people should be invited over a here from time to time.

I would rather pay more for the privilage to learn from world class people.

The All-Rounder that you mention, lets be honest about it, would not even rank in the top 50 would he?

Since I joined this forum, I read the posts here and added some myself over the years.
The posts of John (Merlin Framers) and John (Roboframer) also MarkW and of course Dermot, the man who can pick weblinks out of thin air are a mine of information.

We are a bit behind the likes of the Americans, but then again theres alot more framers there, so if you take percentages were not in bad shape at all.

The problem now, is that in order to move forward we need inspiation
and education, its no good looking to people in these small islands for inspiration, they are not there.

I totally agreed with John that the way forward is to bring the experts over.

BTW, on the software front, the pos and visulation software provided by John is as good as any in the world, I know. I tried them all.
osgood

Post by osgood »

Lemon drop,

I'm not sure that I know who the "all-rounder" is that you refer to but, John Ranes goes to your Spring Fair and is very knowledgeable on many topics, but in particular, business matters, additional products to sell in a framing shop and websites.

You wouldn't have to attract him to attend, but you would have to persuade him to do some seminars.

Apart from that he is a great bloke and is very helpful!

There are probably a number of people in your country that could run a seminar on a particular topic.

There's a saying that I can't remember exactly, but the gist of it is - the amount of knowledge an expert has, is proportional to how far away they are from you.
Martin Harrold
Organisation: MD of Lion / Member of Executive of FATG
Interests: Developing the business, making our customers happy, skiing, racing my 2CV, enjoying two wonderful grandchildren, etc . . .

Money, money

Post by Martin Harrold »

If we could guarantee that 50 framers would each pay £50 a day to attend say 3 quality seminars over a 3 day period at Spring Fair - probably Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, that gives a budget of £7,500. That should cover most of the costs and get things started.

Anyone want to sign up now ?

Ah - I forgot to tell you - at WCAF in Vegas in January, where they have around 1000 people signed up for seminars, most stay in the same hotel as the show and seminars. Many of them start at 8am, so when the show opens at 11am, many visitors have nearly finished their days learning.

So, who fancies being at the NEC for 7.45am in February ?
Martin Harrold
md LION PFS Ltd
m 07973 303982
Grahame Case

Post by Grahame Case »

we'd be interested in signing up all three of us going to the Spring fair