stupid question possibly

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
muffinski
Organisation: none
Interests: framing

stupid question possibly

Post by muffinski »

This may be obvious to most, however, I cannot work this one out. Before you frame something you generally use tape to seal the glass, mount board, item being framed and the backing board. This few mm of tape is generally hidden by the frame. I am going use mount board spacers on the side to keep the glass off whats being framed so this tape will be hidden by the spacer, however, the top and bottom will be show the tape. Do you create spacers for all 4 sides or is there a glarying obvious solution to this problem? Thanks in advance.
easypopsgcf
Organisation: home
Interests: cars

Re: stupid question possibly

Post by easypopsgcf »

So, you plan to space the glass off the mount, using thin strips of mount board? But only at the sides? Why? Is the rebate wider at the sides? Surely you will get the same effect top and bottom too? I'd use econospace from lion. As for the tape being seen? Not sure why the top and bottom differ from the sides?

I think I must be reading it wrongly :lol:
muffinski

Post by muffinski »

Previously people have suggested using spacers at the sides only but I guess best thing would be to space the glass away from mount board on all 4 sides. Mount board spacers will match the mount and be cheap, we are only speaking about 5mm.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Not sure where you got the 'sides only' method from. :? If you don't space it all round the glass will touch in the middle.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
muffinski

Post by muffinski »

Your right, just looked back at the thread and I miss read it :oops: , spacers on all sides required. With regards to eno spacers which are clear how do you get around of the issue of the exposed tape?
prospero

Post by prospero »

Not sure I'm with you on the tape......

The spacers should not be visible. So as long as the tape doesn't cover further than the spacer you should be OK.
muffinski

Post by muffinski »

surely you can see a spacer fron the sides?
Trillian
Organisation: Considering the options. Again!
Interests: Changes on a daily basis, but I'm never without a book to read.

Post by Trillian »

Hello! I've not used Econospace spacers, as I prefer to use either mountboard strips or a wood spacer. Looking at the blurb on Lion's website, the Econospace doobries come in either clear, white or black, to a depth of 1.5mm to 9.5mm. So, yes you will see them if you look sideways into the frame, but I should think that they are no more obvious than using mountboard strips up to a depth of 9.5mm. It also suggests that you can slide mountboard strips into the clear spacer for a more contiguous look.

As far as the tape is concerned, am I right in thinking that you mean the tape that you use to create a 'sandwich', which holds the glass, mount and under mount together as a self contained unit? If so, I would not normally use this 'sandwich' method when using spacers to create depth within a frame. Others may do it differently, but when creating frames with spacers, I would usually put the glass in first, then add the spacers, stuck to the inside of the frame using d/s tape and/or PVA. Once this has dried, carefully place the mounted artwork on top of the spacers, et voila! The Econspacers stick to the underside of the glass, rather than the inside of the frame.
muffinski

Post by muffinski »

Hi Trillan yes your right the tape I am going on about if for the sandwich. It’s good to know that this method is not required when using spacers as it makes the process easier. So I guess you rely on the glass and the back of the frame being sealed to keep any possible bugs and dust out then. Thanks for yoyr reply Trillian.
prospero

Post by prospero »

I don't tape the sandwich when using blind spacers. If using mountboard I usually lay a length of ds tape on the back of a scrap bit and flip over and slice the required width off. Lay glass in frame and fit the spacer - stuck to glass. Econospace is maybe more elegant, but it's not exactly econo in my book. Some mouldings are cheaper. :roll:

One spacer method I like is using a very narrow moulding. 1/2" - 3/8" cushion works well. Make a frame to fit the board, then cut glass to fit on top. You can tape sandwich it this way. It does mean that a tiny bit of the spacer will show, but if you incorporate this into the design it can look good.
muffinski

Post by muffinski »

Great idea with the narrow moulding Prospero. What does blind spacer mean?

"If using mountboard I usually lay a length of ds tape on the back of a scrap bit and flip over and slice the required width off". Not quite sure what you mean by this?, sorry if I am being dumb
prospero

Post by prospero »

Blind spacer = one you can't see. From directly in front at any rate.

Rather than cutting a thin strip of mountboard and then applying doublestick tape to it, much quicker to apply the tape first. Leaving the release paper on one side. Then you have a lot readymade peel'n'stick strips.

btw. The only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask. :wink:
muffinski

Post by muffinski »

Of course it in the name :Slap:

What a great tip! I had started to cut thins strips this morning with the intension of using glue to stick them which would have been messy. Luckly I had to go to work so did not get to far with this, but for sure will use this techique :D

Glad to hear it as no doubt I will be asking a few more questions. Once again the good people of framers forum come to my aid :clap: