Page 1 of 2
Advice on Glass Cleaning Products Needed
Posted: Fri 27 Jul, 2007 6:50 pm
by Moglet
I sustained a nasty shoulder and back injury last year, and ever since I have found it very hard going to clean glass.
I would welcome suggestions from forum members regarding products that you use to make glass cleaning easier. Any slight improvement would be a godsend.
Thanks!
Posted: Fri 27 Jul, 2007 8:35 pm
by Merlin
Sorry to hear about your shoulder problems
Believe it or not we use Tesco non smear glass cleaner and have done for quite a while with no problems.
Posted: Fri 27 Jul, 2007 8:52 pm
by Grahame Case
im not normally one to recommend any one supplier, but Lion make Lionshine glass cleaner concentrate - and its ace cuts through grime and grease with no effort.
Posted: Fri 27 Jul, 2007 9:14 pm
by realhotglass
In addition to the above suggestions . . .
For my general glass cleaning, I use a regular 5lt size glass cleaner decanted into a hand pump spray bottle.
This has a small trace of ammonia in it, which technically should evaporate.
However, I usually then heat this glass up to 750c !!
You are dealing with peoples art etc, so maybe strong chemicals should be avoided altogether?
A mix of Methylated Spirits / distilled water is popular here with many framers, and it evaporates totally. About 50/50 or maybe higher mets %.
For speciality glasses (coated) you need an ammonia free cleaner.
Methylated spirits is fine for these, or we supply and use this here when dealing with making UV samples etc . . .
Packaged up by GHS, a supplier here in Oz.
I am tempted to convert completely to the aerosol for all our needs in the shop, because just a small light spray in the middle of the glass, wipe with good cotton rag, and it cleans easily, dries so much faster and is totally streak free.
(With speciality coated glass you always spray your cloth lightly, not the glass.)
Excellent for mirrors too, and you can retail it in your shop.
I'm sure you would find a similar product there from a supplier.
Posted: Fri 27 Jul, 2007 10:03 pm
by Roboframer
Paper interleaved glass does not need a lot of cleaning, or shouldn't.
Handle it with gloves and if you do come across any marks or stuck on things that won't come off with some elbow grease - use extra fine (0000 grade) Liberon steel wool, which wil require less.
Posted: Fri 27 Jul, 2007 10:05 pm
by Roboframer
Could you also rig up some sort of slow speed or geared down sander type thing with a cloth attached?
Posted: Fri 27 Jul, 2007 11:45 pm
by Dermot
Contact Ebor and ask them where you can get their aersol glass cleaner 17-10 in Ireland it is the best that I ever used...........they have or had a sales operation in Ireland a few years ago I'm not sure that it is still around..........
Lion have No: 548 glass cleaner also......I would guess that this is made by Ebor for them........
Posted: Fri 27 Jul, 2007 11:46 pm
by Dermot
Dermot wrote:Contact Ebor and ask them where you can get their aersol glass cleaner 17-10 in Ireland it is the best that I ever used...........they have or had a sales operation in Ireland a few years ago I'm not sure that it is still around..........
Lion have No: 548 glass cleaner also......I would guess that this is made by Ebor for them........
Ebor catalogue page
http://www.ebor.co.uk/catalogue/17.pdf
Posted: Fri 27 Jul, 2007 11:49 pm
by Dermot
Posted: Sat 28 Jul, 2007 12:34 am
by markw
Best thing I can recommend is the use of microfiber clothes. They come in a number of varieties and cost. Avoid the peach skin type - to much drag for glass cleaning - next step up when they have a fairly fine texture seems to give the best results. I buy mine from Halfords for about £2 each - expensive but worth every penny. get a few and wash regularly, they last for ages. They are so good that you can get a good finish just using plain old tap water - but I tend to use Glass & Mirrors glass cleaner - very sparingly.
Posted: Sat 28 Jul, 2007 12:50 am
by Moglet
Merlin Framers wrote:Believe it or not we use Tesco non smear glass cleaner ...
I must 'fess up to using 'Mr Muscle' myself, John!
Thankyou all for the info and supplier leads. As I've said in another thread, the glass I get really does require a lot of cleaning. Before the injury, I was able to supply judicious amounts of elbow grease to overcome this, but since then, there are occasions where it can take me me three or four attempts to get the glass completely clean, especially for larger frames.
The orbital sander idea definitely caught my fancy, 'Robo' John! I was surprised to learn that 0000 steel wool can be used on glass!
Les, thanks for the extra tips on cleaning speciality glass!
Thankyou, Dermot, for the link to the Grumble: it's a great help to be pointed at exactly the right thread!

I notice that cotton nappies are very popular for glass cleaning. Begs the further question: what are good cloths to use.

Posted: Sat 28 Jul, 2007 1:04 am
by absolute framing
Hi Aine (sorry, dont know how to put the fada aver the ''A'' )
Sissilings, AMD and Glenwood all do the same glass cleaner, which i use, with Sisslings lint free paper towels.
Find it great !
Stephen
Posted: Sat 28 Jul, 2007 2:28 am
by Moglet
Moglet wrote:what are good cloths to use.

Sorry, Mark. Your post shnuck in before mine!
----
Á = ALT-0193, Stephen!

Posted: Sat 28 Jul, 2007 8:35 am
by realhotglass
absolute framing wrote:Hi Aine (sorry, dont know how to put the fada aver the ''A'' )Stephen
You copy (Ctrl C) / paste (Ctrl V) it from one of Áines' posts Stephen !! : )
Posted: Sat 28 Jul, 2007 8:57 am
by John
realhotglass wrote:
You copy (Ctrl C) / paste (Ctrl V) it from one of Áines' posts Stephen !! : )
Or, on a PC, hold down 'Alt Gr' and then 'a' (without the quotes), use the Shift Key at the same time, or 'Caps Lock', for upper case.
Posted: Sat 28 Jul, 2007 8:59 am
by osgood
Copy and paste................good thinking Les!
Áine,
I haven't heard the word 'fada'. Is this Irish?
Please excuse my ignorance. I can't help it if I ain't got no edyoookashun!

Posted: Sat 28 Jul, 2007 9:17 am
by absolute framing
yep, its the dash that goes over some vowels to alter the pronunciation of the word.
As far as i remember it softens the word, but am open to correction
I can do it now ÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁ cool, you learn a new skill every day

Posted: Sat 28 Jul, 2007 9:20 am
by Spit
So is Áine pronounced Ann, Ahn, Annie....?
Posted: Sat 28 Jul, 2007 9:27 am
by Moglet
Alt-Gr plus vowel: how cool is that, John?

To think of all the time I wasted learning the character codes.... That's the trouble with some engineering types: why make something easy, when, with a little effort, one can make it nigh on impossible!
John, I think we need a Cetlic Culture Corner. Completely off-topic again!
'Fada' (rough pronunciation 'fodda') is the Irish for 'long.' The accent is used to indicate long vowel sounds. BTW, over here we call it "edumacation," Ormond!

Posted: Sat 28 Jul, 2007 9:31 am
by Moglet
absolute framing wrote:I can do it now ÁÁÁÁÁÁÁÁ cool, you learn a new skill every day

Good 'ere innit, Stephen?!!
Very close, Spit! Rough pronunciation would be 'Ahnyeh.'