embellishing a printed canvas

Buying/selling equipment
Situations wanted/vacant
Forum rules
All sellers are required to have a forum profile that identifies them clearly. (Such as - name, surname, location, business name et cetera)
doogey
Organisation: picture framers
Interests: art

embellishing a printed canvas

Post by doogey »

Hi
Does anybody Know anywhere that does embellishing of giclee prints on canvas to make them look more like oil paintings? also called over painting i think where you use an acrylic gel medium! any pointing in the right direction would be great!
Thank you
ps we're KT5 area north surrey/greater london
prospero

Re: embellishing a printed canvas

Post by prospero »

Are the prints take from oil paintings? If so they should look like oil paintings already. The use of texturing gel is a very old technique to make prints look like oils, but with modern giclees it's not really necessary IMHO. It's very rarely used nowadays. The protective coating applied to canvas giclees generally gives the surface the right sheen. Texture gel allows you to replicate heavy brushmarks, but on some work it can look very phoney.

Lion Picture Framing do several texturing gels. Some people have used artist's clear acrylic medium.

Never heard of anyone who offers to do this as a service.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
chris62
Organisation: Sansom Gallery
Interests: Photography/Carpentry

Post by chris62 »

Pretty certain that it would be down to the artist who did the original, that is how it is normally done
prospero

Post by prospero »

chris62 wrote:Pretty certain that it would be down to the artist who did the original, that is how it is normally done
Don't confuse this with varnishing Chris. As I say, it's an old technique. Even has a name - Oleograph. It was used from late Victorian times to produce faux oil paintings from prints on paper. I've seen some where the paper has been stuck to a stretched canvas and textured. Unfortunately, as they age and start to look a bit brown and mucky they look even more like an oil painting. Many folks get taken in by 'paintings' that have been in the family for years. Not until they try to sell them do they discover that Granny's painting is a print and not worth a lot.

It depends a lot on the nature of the image just how much texturing a print would work. I've seen some that look really bad. You really need to follow the brushwork very carefully. General random strokes give it the genjeral look, but don't bear close scrutiny.

just a thought..... With 3D printers on the up-and-up if you wanted to reproduce the heavy impasto of a painting you probably could. I've heard tell of such things but never seen one.
chris62
Organisation: Sansom Gallery
Interests: Photography/Carpentry

Post by chris62 »

Liquid laminate for Giclee. But embellishment is usually done by the artist as he/she knows where to put it
prospero

Post by prospero »

chris62 wrote:Liquid laminate for Giclee. But embellishment is usually done by the artist as he/she knows where to put it

:giggle: There are a few that I would love to tell exactly where. :lol: