A sticky problem!

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
pmdavies33
Organisation: Self
Interests: Framing

A sticky problem!

Post by pmdavies33 »

I am looking for a little advice on suitable options to mount a number of problem pieces that I have been asked to frame. The items are all from a customers travels abroad and include an illustration on leather; Papyrus and a further unidentified material that is not paper but like thin stiff leather.

Ideally I would like to frame the items with conservation in mind (the customer has no such concerns) but I might be limited with my options. I think I might be limited to using a suitable adhesive with a limited nod to conservation. Can anyone advise?
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Re: A sticky problem!

Post by David McCormack »

Hi, without seeing the items...... the leather could be stitched to an undermount if it already has some holes in it? You could use cotton embroidery thread of a suitable colour or even leather cord. Even if it has no existing holes you could get customer's permission to make some.

The papyrus and other material (which could be parchment/vellum) can be mounted with Japanese paper hinges and wheat starch paste. I guess in all three cases you may want to show the edges so for the paper hinges you will need to do pass through hinges or use the hedgehog method (search hedgehog on this forum).

Just some ideas :D
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
prospero

Re: A sticky problem!

Post by prospero »

I would always go for mechanical fixings on stuff like this if it can be done. Even if this involves making tiny holes, it's preferable to using glue.

Papyruses look good floated so David's way is the way. You have to be a bit sneaky with the hinges as the material can have a very open weave and are a bit transparent. Handmade paper hinges sjould be as close to the papyrus colour as possible and the edges feathered.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About