Mounting typograpy print.

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Aaron
Organisation: in the frame
Interests: framing,surfing,music production.

Mounting typograpy print.

Post by Aaron »

Hi, all i,m new to framing.I have been given a typographic word print to mount for a friend.How do i get the print mounted straight?
whats the best method,and materials to use?i also have a colour chart from my local paint shop he wants it mounting and framing i have noticed the print is not straight.Any help and advice is really aprecciated as i,m a little stuck! :head:
Framemaker Richard
Organisation: framemaker
Interests: Antique frames

Re: Mounting typograpy print.

Post by Framemaker Richard »

Hi Aaron,
Welcome to the forum. If I understand you correctly and if the spacing between the four sides needs to be exact, then I put the hinges on the print, put it on the undermount positioned as square as possible by eye, then put the hinged mount over the print. Then use a measure to check the gap between the image and mount edge, making adjustments* as required. When happy with the position I put a piece of mount board or paper on the print and put a weight on it so it does not move. Open and lift the mount and then put a piece of tape across each hinge. *Sometimes it is necessary to put a light weight on the print while you are doing the adjustments.

I am sure there are other better ways but that is how I do it! If a print or your paint chart is unsquare then usually all you can do is fit the mount in the most balanced way visually. Some people may prefer that the bottom edge is straight and the others wonky, I would just do it how it looks best to your eye.
vintage frames
Organisation: https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
Interests: Making picture frames

Post by vintage frames »

Good advice from Framemaker. All the framing I do involves mounting antique prints and maps and nearly always, the image is un-square. They look fine on their own, but once inside a frame or mount, the difficulties arise. As Framemaker says, wriggle it around 'till you get an average look, but I always try to have the top line of the image parallel to the frame top, first. Another good way of solving the problem is to float mount the print inside a very deep rebated frame.
Affordable Gilding Course for Professional Framers-https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/dermotmcardle/
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Unless you mean it's not FLAT ???
Aaron
Organisation: in the frame
Interests: framing,surfing,music production.

Post by Aaron »

Thanks for your reply.Time to purchase some materials from lion for the job,and as long as i,m not doing it the wrong way is good to know.