Water, water!

For topics that fall into the 'None Of The Above' category
osgood

Water, water!

Post by osgood »

Arrived at the shop yesterday (monday) to find nearly half the floor area was covered in water. Four inches of rain overnight was responsible and a sewer line was blocked just down the road. Sewage was backing up through the sink waste pipe in the dunny next door and seeped under the brick wall into the back of my place.

Some volunteers from my church family came and helped scoop up the water for about five hours until the council was able to unblock the sewer pipe nearby.

A lot of moulding lengths had to be moved so that the floor where it was could be dried out. It's going to be an all day job today to get stuff back in place and probably the next day as well.

Insurance will cover the loss of stock, but the three days lost production is just down the drain.

It's not as bad as it was in 1995 when there was thirteen inches right through the whole place. That was really bad!
Moglet
Organisation: An Urban Myth
Interests: I'll let you know if I get my life back.

Post by Moglet »

Truly sorry to hear of your misfortune, Ormond. :(
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Image .Briseann an dúchas trí shuiligh an chuit.
ross

Post by ross »

Ormond

It is great to have a band of friends to call on in times of emergency

I hope you quickly get on top of things and the bright sunny days Port Macquarie is renouned for will soon brighten your spirits

The gale force winds and rain along the NSW north coast have brought some nice falls of rain to the Brisbane area, but it's nothing like what you have been receiving

Regards

Ross
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

unlucky mate :( hope you get it all sorted out soon.
osgood

Post by osgood »

Thanks guys!

David, my stepson, and I spent all day yesterday sorting stuff out and got most of it under control so I can get back to productive work today. Two days not producing any work/income is a pain in the neck, but what can you do? Just live with it I guess.

The last few things needing attention will get done over the next week or so! I'm hoping this will not occur again, but you never know!
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Hi Ormond,

Sorry to hear your bad news. I hope things get sorted soon. I know what you mean about church family, mine moved everything into my shop when I got started. I could not have done it without them.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Our shop is in 'The Square' Angmering - but it's not square!

The address does not appear on GPS thingys either, but it is at the junction of Station road and ...... WATER lane!

A couple of years ago we found out why it was called 'Water Lane' - a culvert got blocked and we had a flash flood, most everyone around us had flood damage but our place is built on a slope - the back (kitchen etc) windows are a foot from the ground and the front has a patio raised about 6" above the pavement (sidewalk).

The flood came to about half an inch below that patio and the road was a pretty fast flowing river, then suddenly it all receded.

Turned out that it was down to a developer clearing land that included a hedgerow lining a trickle of a stream that goes under the village - normally this debris - although they should have removed it, would have, bit by bit, been taken away naturally, but a severe rainfall took it in one go and the culvert could not cope. Everyone knew it and if it could have been proven the developer would have had such a bill that it would have written of their development.

Hand-in-glove with the authorities - local residents had no chance against them.

Two things we fear - fire and that what puts it out - oh - make that three -BS from those who rob us to keep them in a job!

But we all also know that the developers/planners went "PHEW - that was close" and it won't happen again. We are protected by the laws of physics, as long as some dumbass doesn't block them.

I don't know how I'd cope if what happened to you happened to me Ormond - maybe we'd have lots of local support - maybe I should go to church more often (like once!) but I hope I never have to find out.