Morso misery....

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
jay

Morso misery....

Post by jay »

Hi All,
Have wasted sooo much time today looking at, fiddling with, and cursing the big green monster in the corner!
Ok, so my mitres were less than perfect, and today I'd had enough adjusting and trying to persuade 2 unequal mitres together, hoping for the perfect finish when the RH cut edge was very fractionally longer/wider then the LH.
Sooo.... I put on newly sharpened blades... put long steel rule against measuring guage.... adjusted RH fence.... slid rule towards LH fence whilst hard against RH.... adjusted LH so all perfectly aligned. Cut 4 sections of moulding, all seemed fine until I put them on underpinner and there was quite a large gap on the sight edge..... No idea now what is wrong??!! I, like Smiffy in a previous post, have the "spongey" feel at the end of the last cut. Probably a silly question..... How do I know if my blades are hollow ground or flat.... I assume it's the obvious shallow curve on the HG? :oops: Anyone any suggestions as to where to go from here, as I have several deadline jobs for end of week so can't really afford to waste any more time. :?
Oh, and the bottom knives.... there is a slightly larger gap on the LH blade... not sure if that bears any relevance?
Hopefully this is the 3rd, and last of my string of machine troubles.... compressor stopped working in the run up to Xmas... Underpinner leaking air big time and needed new part last month, then this..... Dread anything going wrong living in the sticks in Scotland..... no engineer will come this far North. :cry:
easypopsgcf
Organisation: home
Interests: cars

Re: Morso misery....

Post by easypopsgcf »

Where are you? To get you out of a hole this week you could go to someone else nearby(ish) if you can find someone. Would be a good time to examine a working morso too.
If you are close enough to Glasgow I could possibly help, but I get the feeling you are quite far up......and I'm away a few days this week.

There is a very good write up on here somewhere about squaring up the morso, hopefully someone will post it up.
jay

Post by jay »

Hi
Thanks for reply.... I'm 40 miles West of Aberdeen so yes, quite far North!
I have managed to adjust fences before, but cannot figure out why it doesn't seem to be working this time.... Perhaps I was just getting too tired and crotchety!!
Hoping a new day will shed some light.... :sun:
Jay
Dave E
Organisation: DEPF
Interests: guitar, music, film soundtracks

Post by Dave E »

Hi Jay
I needed to adjust my bottom (fixed) blades recently as they were out of alignment with the top blades, see this thread for info

the pics posted for comparison were very helpful to me although my problem was different. May be worth a try though as there should be no significant gap showing between top and bottom blades.
jay

Post by jay »

Hi Dave E
Whilst trawling through all the "searches" for morso adjustment I saw yours, but skipped on by as you rightly said, it was a different problem!
Wow... the photo's are really helpful (I am sooo a "visual" person!) Although I don't have a gap where my bottom blades meet, I now realise I have too big a gap between the top and bottom blades, and uneven to boot!
Hey.... I almost feel like going back out to the workshop to do the adjustments now!!! I really didn't think it was possible to get the blades so close, but not to touch.... Looks like I've spent 16 years with my blades not quite close enough (but obviously not as bad as now)
Thank you so much.... just hope it helps my problem, as it did yours. :D
jay

Post by jay »

Getting nowhere fast! I've established that there is too big a gap between top and bottom blades, with a slightly larger gap on the LH side. How do I remedy this, as I also read somehere on here that you can only adjust bottom blades if there is a gap between them as in Dave E's case.... I'm even more confused now, and still have no idea as to whether this even has anything to do with me not getting correct 45's :head: Will try and attach photo's....
Attachments
11050302_774885465934192_9021879080948861711_n.jpg
11050302_774885465934192_9021879080948861711_n.jpg (65.53 KiB) Viewed 2556 times