Wax for a black painted finish

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Colin Macintyre
Organisation: cmpf.co.uk
Interests: Picture Framing

Wax for a black painted finish

Post by Colin Macintyre »

I give my hand painted frames a coat of wax polish, using Liberon Black Bison (neutral) or Roberson Wax Medium & Varnish. This gives me a result I am pleased with, except on black paint. When I "buff up" the polish with a lint free cloth (liberon), it leaves a multitude of tiny white flecks, which really spoils the finish. I'm using a Dulux paint and I get the same problem regardless of the wood species.
I would welcome ideas on what, and how, I can apply a protective coat over a black paint, that doesn't adversely affect the appearance.

Cheers,

Colin.
Framie
Organisation: Anything Framed
Interests: Custom Framing, Hand Finishes and Multi Aperture Mounts.

Re: Wax for a black painted finish

Post by Framie »

To solve this problem on Black I use Colron Refined Beeswax 'Clear' (from B&Q) for the first coat of wax and for the second coat of wax I use Liberon Black Bison (neutral).

This is on top of Liberon Black water based stain and not paint but should still work the same.

Hope that helps :D
Anything Framed
Colin Macintyre

Thanks Framie, I will certainly give that a try!
prospero

Post by prospero »

I'm a bit bemused at that Colin. Have you a photo of the offending surface. :shock:

I do black quite often and I've found a couple of coats of black acrylic gesso (luverly stuff) followed by a coat or two of Mars Black acrylic paint gives a really solid black. I either leave it as is or buff it dark oak wax - not too much. Applying the wax with fine steel wool and buffing after half an hour or so brings it up to a high shine.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
vintage frames
Organisation: https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
Interests: Making picture frames

Post by vintage frames »

It might be that the solvents in the wax are dissolving the black finish and the wood grain is showing through the paint. A simple solution is to paint some clear or french polish over the black, and then wax with whatever brand you like.
Affordable Gilding Course for Professional Framers-https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/dermotmcardle/
standenfineart
Organisation: Private
Interests: Private

Post by standenfineart »

I wouldn't use french polish over acrylic or latex paint as its alcohol solvent will soften or lift the paint finish.
I think it likely that the white flecks you mention are dried clear/neutral wax sitting in the wood pores of any open grained timber.
To overcome this I would suggest a first one or two coats of black or very dark brown wax and then clear coat over this as needed.
Solvents in the clear coat will wash off some of the surface coloured wax but leave it behind in the pores preventing white flecking.
vintage frames
Organisation: https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
Interests: Making picture frames

Post by vintage frames »

Good point about the alcohol solvent in french polishes softening a paint finish but I would say that you would really need to be working it hard onto the surface before the alcohol takes effect. Shellac makes an excellent barrier varnish between different paint finishes and is always applied thinly and with a very soft brush.
Anyway, a photo of the flecks would be good to see.
Affordable Gilding Course for Professional Framers-https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/dermotmcardle/
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Do these flecks in the finish disappear if you gently warm the finish with a hot air gun? If so, the flecks may be caused by crystals forming in the wax.

These crystals are not really visible over lighter paint finishes and iIf this appears to be the cause of the problem, then something like dark oak wax, or black patinating wax may help to solve this problen.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

I used to have the exact same problem so I started using Black Patinating Wax from Liberon. This gives a lovely finish.
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

I use osmo polyox oil in black. I paint the wood with 3 coats of Sandex smooth black masonry paint then a coat od the polyox, leave to dry then buff. It gives a hard wearing finish.
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Post by GeoSpectrum »

I use black bison dark oak over Everest black paint. Buffs up well and disguises any little bits where the paint may not have covered, such as in the grain.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
Colin Macintyre

Many thanks for these great contributions. I feel certain I will overcome my problem by employing methods you have given me. I will therefore wait with the photo shoot. My own diagnosis was that it is probably, as has been suggested: "dried clear/neutral wax sitting in the wood pores of any open grained timber". Cheers again. You guys and this forum are TOP! :D